No announcement yet.

Snadgers Penultimate Plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, as good as my word, I managed to get quite bit more done on the plot this morning. Glorious sunshine along with no wind made it exceedingly pleasant to be there .

Hoed off the next area to be planted and after raking planted two long rows of Electric onion sets. Other sets I had already planted appeared to be starting to root and the birds had only pulled out a couple which were easily replaced.

I know you lot must be getting sick of these photos of soil but its handy for me as an aid memoire.

Soil seems very good and rakes down to a fine tilth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180928_121711-1377x2448.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	2380942

So, that's white and red Japanese onions in. One more packet of another variety of white onions to go in, along with half a packet of n un-named variety I was given by another plot holder should see me well onioned.

After harvesting another five courgettes I did some more digging of the rough area. After a while the shirt came of as I was getting a sweat on. There were no kids around to frighten with my physique so everything was ok.

I was pleased with how much I got dug...…..steady away and you will get there is my motto.

Name:	20180928_133854-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	2380943

Going to a farmers market tomorrow so hopefully I will pick up some Jerusalem Artichoke tubers and some soft fruit bushes along with any brassica plants that are available.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well done on the hard work - I've got serious soil envy, yours looks so good

I still can't get spade or fork deeper than about 4ins it's so dry - like concrete below. When I took the onions up I had to use the mattock to break the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
        Well done on the hard work - I've got serious soil envy, yours looks so good

I still can't get spade or fork deeper than about 4ins it's so dry - like concrete below. When I took the onions up I had to use the mattock to break the surface.
        Thanks Thelma. Its nice that the soil is so full of worms also. No matter how much organic matter I added to my last plot, I never had the worm density I have on this one. I suspected we had NZ flatworm on the site, but I never found any?
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Some hard work put in there, well done
          Northern England.

Comment

Quick visit to plot this morning.
            There is a notice on the gate announcing the intention to change the lock and issue new keys from 1st October so I thought I would try and pay my £15.00 then. I honestly didn't think there would be anyone there and I was right in my assumption.
            Whilst I was there I dug a couple more rows on the rough side of the plot before coming away.
            I have emailed the only contact I have and asked when someone will be on site to take the returnable key money. I just hope they don't change the old lock for the new without making sure everyone has a key.
            I didn't photograph progress this time as both you and I will be getting sick of pictures of bare soil!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              I didn't photograph progress this time as both you and I will be getting sick of pictures of bare soil!
              Never!

Comment

I decided on a trip to the plot even though it was a bit 'parky' this morning with a frost overnight. Main reason was to get some more Japanese onions planted.

Hoed and raked the whole bed, even though I would only be planting part of it. I was surprised how easy the clumps raked into a reasonable seedbed.

Planted another two rows of onion sets.

Name:	20181007_114911-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	2381038

That's four rows of white and two rows of red onions in now.

Started tidying paths up and lo and behold under a heap of soil, weeks ,plastic bags and roofing felt a path started to emerge

Before

Name:	20181007_112754-1377x2448.jpg
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	2381039

And after

Name:	20181007_114708-1377x2448.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	2381040

Alright, not a full path but something I can work with and expand.

As by then it was approaching Sunday dinner time (Lunch for poshies) I collected 3 more courgettes to add to the mountain, paid my £15.00 key money and returned home for my roast beef an trimmings.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

lo and behold under a heap of soil, weeks ,plastic bags and roofing felt a path started to emerge
                  You were lucky to get it done in a morning then, wish I could work that quickly

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                    You were lucky to get it done in a morning then, wish I could work that quickly
                    I am more of a tortoise rather than a hare Thelma tbh.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger, do you find that your hard work and enthusiasm rubs off on the adjacent plot holders? It would for me: if I saw someone making that sort of progress I'd be more inspired to crack on myself.
                      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                        Snadger, do you find that your hard work and enthusiasm rubs off on the adjacent plot holders? It would for me: if I saw someone making that sort of progress I'd be more inspired to crack on myself.
                        Not really, plot holders either side of me have given up for this year.I will probably see them in the spring again.

TBH all the plots are in reasonable nick.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Lightweights!
                          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Productive morning today. Decided to tidy up a thicket of brambles at the corner of the plot. The reason for this was three fold. To tidy t up,to fnd out was under it and to utilise the area for placing my IBC liked to the shed and greenhouse.

This is what it was like before I started.

Name:	20181016_105939-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	2381136

After attacking it with loppers and breaking my secateurs' it threw up a few pleasant surprises!

Name:	20181016_121747-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	2381137

Name:	20181016_121808-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	2381138

Although at first sight it doesn't look very pleasant, this is what was underneath thicket.

What we have is enough guttering and down comers to link the greenhouse and shed to the IBC I intend siting there. In the bags thee are enough rocks to build a plinth for the IBC so I can get my watering can under the outlet tap. On top of this is wire netting which will come in handy for supporting my broad beans. to crown it all there are enough tin sheeting fencing panels to complete the fence at the rear of the plot. Simples!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Here is the pile of guttering and down comer pipe once I had extricated it from the heap.

Name:	20181016_123240-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	2381139

And the heap I have to allow to dry out before I burn it.

Name:	20181016_121840-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	2381140

While I was there I decided to rake down the area I had dug over. I was intending letting the frost do my work for me but thought I would give it a go. It raked down very well.

Name:	20181016_125009-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	2381141

Finished off by adding some cardboard to a weedy area at front of plot.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181016_121852-2448x1377.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	2381142

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Wow, what a difference you have made in 1 morning!
                                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X