No announcement yet.

What type of floor for my new greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just love growing in pots and raised tubs as I find it far easier to control the sub contrate I grow in and ease of giving water and fertilisers when needed

So made the decision, one central path made of slabs, then both sides filled with "Bark Chipping's" one side for pots and tubs where I grow my tomatoes and chilli's

Click image for larger version

Name:	385.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	2382049

The other to whack in the staging for firstly the "Grow Beds" which I grow an abundance of crops in through the year and change the top half of soil with my own made compost mixed 50/50 with perlite to aid drainage, and the top shelf is just awesome for bringing on my seedling once all threat of frost as passed

Name:	IMG_2894.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	2382050

Again having to work from my iPad and have better photos on my "Lappy" but sure you will get the gist

Works just well for me!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

So orderly and correct Deano .....I haven't got a tidy bone in my body

Comment

I have slabs down the middle and gravel on the end and two sides. I plant in pots and buckets and it lets you move them round anytime unless it’s a tied in Cucumber. Really clean too, watering is great as drains easy. Doesn’t get weeds growing.

Kind Regards.............Rob

Name:	2B687D5C-B5CA-4F63-AEF8-5BF13A896FD4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	2382057

Comment

I would've had soil beds around the edges of the greenhouse if I could, but it has deep concrete footings, so.. I grow in pots in there. Next year it'll likely be ikea bags in there too
          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            When growing in bed soil you don't necessarily need to water plants every day (or even twice a day when using pots) so you get consistent growth and avoid the likes of blossom end rot on tomatoes.
            Watering is the main reason I grow straight into the border I can give my GH a good soaking then go camping for 3 to 4 days and my toms are fine.

Each year I replace the planting hole soil with my own compost/leaf mould mix this way of using my GH seems to work out fine for me.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

If growing tomatoes, regular watering seems to be critical. I had problems with Blossom Bottom Rot - I think that's what it is called - Brown bottom on tomatoes. Planting into soil lessens these types of problems and extends watering cycles.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X