Building your own poly tunnel from scratch advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Begger!

Forgot about the corrupt photo "Thingy" and now makes no sense!!!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Again thanks for the replies, been very useful along with other research. Though being able to source enough standard scaffolding poles of the correct size, 10 about 5 foot poles, at a reasonable price is proving very problematic. As everything I've come by is either the wrong size & length, not enough quantity or to cost prohibitive. The blue mdpe water tubing is easy.

Plus I've also realised that getting to match 50mm tube over scaffold pole is also going to be very difficult to impossible and bigger size again starts to get cost issues. So I was thinking of either using smaller pipe inside scaffold tube, say 32mm tubing, but the gap is going to be to big even if I drilled and bolted. Using 32mm tubing over say 25 mm poles might be an option if I can source enough smaller poles, would just need at least another loop in a 6 meter tunnel, but certainly an option.

But then I recall I'm planning on using a solid base of sorts, so maybe a wooden base and wooden straight sides upto say 3ft high could be an option as I could source enough wood locally at a reasonable price and wooden bottom half would therefore be feasible then just loop any size tubing onto the bottom wooden half?.

Decisions decisions eh?.

Comment

In fact I've received advice last night from a friend suggesting I don't want to over complicate things as the idea was to build something myself for a comparable price as I can buy a 6x3 meter poly tunnel off Amazon or eBay but just better. And some of my ideas might defeat the original idea on costings front.

So to simplify things any try to keep in with the original idea it has been suggested if I can't source the 10 bits of 5ft scaffolding pole that I'd need at a reasonable price for a 6x3 meter poly tunnel then to simply replace the poles with 4x4 wooden posts and type of wood aside either hammer them into the ground or concrete them in and build the rest as per original plan using the blue mdpe tubing and a sheet of poly cover.

Comment

To follow up on my previous post and still in the absence of being able to source or secure scaffolding type poles at reasonable price and correct sizes and quantities. I've come by a YouTube video earlier that illustrates pretty much exactly what I was thinking of as a workable alternative to have a complete wooden base\lower section. And based on the video it looks like a very workable alternative. More so in that in the video the guy only seems to be using 3/4 (18mm?) plastic tubing for the actual hoops against the 32mm I'm looking at using.

And based on his video of using 4 ft 4x4's as his main posts (though going just 1ft into the ground seems to little to me) and using 2x4's as strips at the top an bottom to build a straight wall some 3ft high, well the way he fixed the plastic tubing to the sides (the same idea as I had) looks to give about 4ft of straight side before it looks to really curve over, which is what I was looking at, as much straight sideage as possible. Apart from that, I'd want to add additional support strips either side between the central (highest) hoop support strips and the straight side top wooden strip.

Anyone any thoughts on this guy's build as unless I've missed something downside this is likely what my build will be based on. https://youtu.be/ZIJBpL7GHI0

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X