Electric propagators

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you bren
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

My propagator is only 8 watts and I can feel no heat on the outside of the base, so I would suggest no heat loss? The inside of the lid has condensation on it and the seeds are growing like mad, this is in an unheated double glazed frost free conservatory.

Comment

The actual energy consumption of a propagator is peanuts - max usually 15 watts - so energy consumption and its costs are not really an issue.

Condensation is: in a cold area, any moisture in the propagator will consense on the inside of the roof and fall back onto the seedlings as cold water. Which is not good news.

I tend not to use a propagtor in cold areas for that reason. if you must, then insulate the sides with bubble wrap. The roof is a problem as you want to maximise light at this time of year. Bubble wrap will insulate and cut down the light.. but it is better than most of the alternatives.. Use a single layer and make sure it is clean.
        Or use cling film.. Or clear polythene.. Or polystyrene.

(yes in my long ago past I learned enough for a few short hours to obtain a degree in physics but dementia rules after 50 odd years :-)
        Last edited by Madasafish; 08-01-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

My large Vitapod uses 100 watts.
          The underside felt warm so I now stand it on a sheet of 1" expanded polystyrene.
          Biggest problem I had was overheating when sun was on it in green house.
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I like growing chilies and got much better results with one of these:

https://www.keengardener.co.uk/stewa...uxFBoC0Y3w_wcB

As it is variable you can set it for the higher temps chillies like - non-thermostatic ones can get to hot and those with simple thermostatic cutout don't always get hot enough - cutting out at around 23c

Hopefully will last a few years.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X