No announcement yet.

Growing Strawberries under glass

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bring my potted strawbs on early by using the greenhouse - normally by moving them inside in Feb until I need the space for Chillies and Toms in May.

I normally get some early fruit - unless like last year when Mr Vine Weavil paid a visit.

Comment

I grew Mara des Bois last year and they were very tasty not a heavy cropper but a lovely flavour similar to a alpine strawberry - I have a trug full of runners so should be seeing more this year - will try a tub in the greenhouse.

Just need to remember which runners were which as my granddaughter removed the labels.

Comment

I might buy these in a couple of months time and see how they go
        Strawberry Plants 'Mara des Bois' (12 plants) : Pomona Fruits, Buy Fruit Trees, Soft Fruit Bushes, Apple Trees, Raspberry Canes, Grape Vines, Strawberry Plants

Comment

Hi - I am no expert but this is what I am doing - 4 varieties. Early - i.e June fruits Honeyeye. Main crop Sweetheart and Florence. Late Aromel - will remove the flowers until May on Aromel to ensure a late crop, meant to crop until October. So I think getting an early variety should help you get early strawbs. Cloches on outdoor planted will help too. I don't have a large enough g/h to have them inside plus I have read that they do better in the ground. Good luck - hope you get a great crop.

Comment

In case any Mara Des Bois fans want to get some new plants now, Suttons Seeds have them in stock (Strawberry Plants - Mara des Bois - James Wong Grow For Flavour Plants - Vegetable Plants - Gardening). I just planted some from them yesterday, can't wait to try them for the first time.

Comment

Ive built a new 8x6 raised bed covered with glass which im growing sweet colossus for the first time and they are coming along nicley

http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/mob...10129.html?a=1
              Last edited by jonny the plant pot; 31-01-2017, 07:26 AM. Reason: Link added
              When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

I grew Mara de Bois in self watering hanging baskets in my polytunnel last year - plants were from previous years runners. Two of us ate strawberries from May until September non stop. The baskets get chucked outside for the winter ( the more frost the better) and will come back in about March.

Comment

I've potted up a Mara Des Bois and put it in my blowaway greenhouse, as I'm so eager to try it as quickly as possible after all the people raving about how nice they are. The other Maras I bought are in a planter in the back yard. The heaters in the blowaway are going on next month when I put my chillies out, aiming for over 10 Celsius at all times (and probably ~25 ish when it's sunny in Spring), so I'm hoping I'll get a super early crop, and the relative warmth won't hamper the flavour of the Maras too much.
                  Last edited by JusPotterinTim; 06-02-2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X