No announcement yet.

Getting a Greenhouse Advice / Help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I don't have the space for a 'proper' greenhouse I was looking at this...could you experts give me your thoughts on it or if anyone has any other recommendations, they would be gratefully received. Planning on growing chillis in it.

Ha ha, would help if I added the link! Duh!

https://www.primrose.co.uk/lacewing-...e-p-49709.html
    Last edited by Jay22; 30-08-2016, 04:18 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by craftymarie View Post
      Currently investigating the Rhino make as that seems to have some very good reviews. Not quite budget but maybe worth dipping into the retirement fund for. It's not like something we'll be getting every year .
      ive got a rhino..8ft x20ft. With double doors. They have high eaves, hanging rails for baskets. I have staging down one side. When my toms get big enough to plant in the borders, I take out the slats and leave the tables in place. Using them as supports to tie in my toms.

I have another GH which isn't a patch on the rhino. The horti glass often gets cracked, if one pane gets broken others follow quickly if not repaired pronto. I am in a very open spot, so can really get hit by wind in the winter and ive not had a bit of trouble (touch wood) with the rhino. It'sbeen worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
        As I don't have the space for a 'proper' greenhouse I was looking at this...could you experts give me your thoughts on it or if anyone has any other recommendations, they would be gratefully received. Planning on growing chillis in it.

Ha ha, would help if I added the link! Duh!

https://www.primrose.co.uk/lacewing-...e-p-49709.html
        Do you want glass or polycarbonate? Have you looked at greenhouses direct? They do a lean too range, similar price to that...you may find that you can pick up something in the sales over the next couple of months too.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          ive got a rhino..8ft x20ft. With double doors. They have high eaves, hanging rails for baskets. I have staging down one side. When my toms get big enough to plant in the borders, I take out the slats and leave the tables in place. Using them as supports to tie in my toms.

I have another GH which isn't a patch on the rhino. The horti glass often gets cracked, if one pane gets broken others follow quickly if not repaired pronto. I am in a very open spot, so can really get hit by wind in the winter and ive not had a bit of trouble (touch wood) with the rhino. It'sbeen worth every penny.
          Thank you, Scarlet. So good to hear your opinion. Yes, I like all the features that you get. I think staging just down one side is a flexible arrangement. I've looked at lots of options but got my heart dead set on a Rhino which seem to tick every box. Hoping to get one this winter or early spring. Depends on finances and also preparing the patch of ground where it is going and getting the base sorted out for it. I don't think we are really capable of doing that ourselves with the ground the way it is so will probably have to hire someone.
          LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

My second hand greenhouse I dug the footings myself (windy site so I really needed it bolted down) and got a builder fill in with concrete and put a few courses of bricks to add some height and them my step Dad put the GH frame up and bolted it down. I fixed the glass in myself.

Now the Rhino panes are huge and weigh a ton!.the GH people gave me a contact that puts them up all the time...which was worth every penny. It's a really heavy job.

Comment

If you buy out of season you get some good discounts off...I think I got mine november time. I kept looking for when the prices dropped. Come feb they go back up ready for the new growing season.

Comment

Thanks for the advicemScarlet, will check out the website and hold back for a while!
                sigpic

Comment

I would get a Rion

EcoGrow® | Rion Greenhouses

I have had one 4 years my sister over 10 and still going strong - look for offers iincluding the base.

Comment

Not sure Marie visits much these days so fingers crossed she sees your post if she hasn't already got her GH.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by TrysHard View Post
                      I would get a Rion

EcoGrow® | Rion Greenhouses

I have had one 4 years my sister over 10 and still going strong - look for offers iincluding the base.
                      Have just looked at their prices................you could buy a Polytunnel for less.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                        Have just looked at their prices................you could buy a Polytunnel for less.
                        Cheaper than a lot of other greenhouses.....and very durable.

£739.02 for a 6x8 including base.
                        Last edited by TrysHard; 11-01-2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

^^^^ or an 8x10 with base and toughened glass for £549 https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/g...arter-package/

Comment

That is a good price, especially for toughened glass. - for 100 more you can have an 8x12 plus there is an extra £50 off cracking deals.

Now do I need one.

In 2014 I got a Rion Eco 6X10 Greenhouse with Base for £520 which was cheaper than the 6x8 at the time.
                            Last edited by TrysHard; 12-01-2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I got a simplicity classic 8x10 from them last year. Have to say it's a good'un. The full pane sheets are great (heavy though). We got the windproof edging for the glass (long strips the full length and width of the glass which hold it in instead of traditional clips) & they're worth the extra. Delivery was good as well.
                              Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X