Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...
    they're still alive

I'd be tempted to cloche them till they were a bit bigger - though they've got this far...

What's your (rough) location? I've not had luck growing melons outdoors (not much luck inside an unheated GH truth-be-told)
    Last edited by Baldy; 08-06-2016, 04:14 PM.
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

What are your night-time temperatures like, Baldy? Shouldn't be too bad in north Devon, I think. If they're above 10 ºC, I reckon you should put them outside in the ground. Do you grow squash? Essentially, you should treat them like a squash plant.

Plant out with a good amount of muck or other well-rotted compost and water well on a regular basis (not stop-start) and feed likewise. I feed mine every couple of weeks or so. If you can mulch, as stpaulsfc has done, all the better. I'm told they don't like competition from weeds but I find it impossible to keep the weeds down and in my experience, if your plot is exposed, they will actually appreciate some weeds to grab on to with tendrils to keep themselves from blowing about. I see on that site they suggest planting 12-18 inches apart. That seems very close to me. I plant mine about 70 cm apart. Mark the spot you put them in with a bit of cane so you can identify where the roots will be, as they do tend to trail all over the place. The cane will show you where to water.

Galia-type melons are delicious. And by the look of them, Arava have the potential to grow to a decent size.

Good luck.

Edited to add: I see you're going to put them in pots in the greenhouse. You'll need a fair-sized pot and you'll have to grow them up a trellis and support the fruit. Otherwise, you'll be constantly treading on the vines as they trail across the floor.
      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 09-06-2016, 07:53 AM.

Comment

thanks for the info. Snoop.
        From your comments I think I'll plant a couple outside to free up a bit of space in the GH
        sigpic

Comment

I'm in Llanelli, South Wales Baldy. where it has rained once in the last 2 weeks, the rest of the time has been hot and sunny up to 25c with night time temps around 15c +
          I decided to plant outside as it didnt seem to be growing much more than a seedling in pots. Thought the extra breathing space would help it along.

Comment

Thanks a lot people, was just doing some sneak reading the forum at work when I read this threads title with a mouth full of coffee, and promptly sprayed my boss.

Was going to ask have you tried caressing them daily but might be the pointy stick brigade after me as well.
            The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

I haven't posted on this thread until now, because I'm too embarrassed

Last year mine were only Midgets. So small I've overlooked them completely this year.

They were sweet and perfectly formed though. If you'd like a quick peep, http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1375847

Comment

I wasn't intending to have a go at melon growing, but after scooping the seeds out of a supermarket Charentais, I shoved a few of the seeds in pots (as you do ), and they are all up and have 3 or 4 leaves each.
                Ho hum, absolutely nowhere to put them, I may have to put them in a tub and stand them on the front lawn
                Last edited by mothhawk; 09-06-2016, 06:10 PM.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  I haven't posted on this thread until now, because I'm too embarrassed

Last year mine were only Midgets. So small I've overlooked them completely this year.

They were sweet and perfectly formed though. If you'd like a quick peep, http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1375847
                  I say.... rather!

Little out of focus. Looks like your hands were shaking when you took that polaroid VC
                  sigpic

Comment

It was the excitement, Baldy, it was just too much for me and my Brownie Box

Comment

DO NOT, whatever you do put big melons into a google images search or you may get more than you bargained for!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Why is it that any thread about melons, cucumbers, funny carrots or, in my case, tromboncino, brings out the "worst" in people

Purely rhetorical question - no need to answer
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 09-06-2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you have experience there Snadger...

Comment

Although if you keep this thread going long enough and mention big melons a lot then it will arrive at the top of a Google search and thus enable anyone who Googles big melons to find exactly the information they were looking for

I've been told that melons starved of sufficient food and water may often be on the small side and if not given adequate support gravity may cause them to fall to the floor which causes much disappointment.
                            Last edited by ecudc; 09-06-2016, 10:07 PM.
                            Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
                            Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
                            Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
                            Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

I grew Sweetheart melons in a blowaway last year and got 2 melons- absolutely gorgeous they were. I had a problem being able to water them regularly so I may have had more. This year I've a couple of water buts and a timer which should help make sure of regular watering. I'm growing water Melon Sugar Baby and Honeydew Melon as well as sweet heart.

For the sake of SaraJH here's an irrigation recap -

Water from my butt will be regularly dribbled on my Sweetheart Melons.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                                Sounds like you have experience there Snadger...
                                Don't encourage him, Vix, or he'll be showing you his pantiles

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X