Greenhouse soil?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    My GH is on concrete with edged beds on 3 sides. The same soil has been in it for 30+ years - never sterilised or changed it.
    I grow the toms and cues in open bottomed buckets, in fresh compost, resting on the soil so the roots go down into it. Around the pots I grow salad veggies like lettuce, rocket, spring onions etc. At the end of the year, I empty the tom buckets onto the "beds", give it a bit of a stir and that's it.
    Lazy gardening, maybe, but it works for me.
    You don't rotate the crops either then?

Comment

I bung them in wherever there's a space!

Comment

The experts would probably advise against what you are doing, but it works for you. I remember an expert being described as "ex" as in something that has been and "spurt" is a drip under pressure!
        I think some of the "old advice" could be from an era of clay pots, wooden trays and soft wood greenhouses without auto ventilation, maybe with new materials and techniques, cleanliness isn't quite as important. I do tend to stick to my old ways out of habit as much as anything.

Comment

I'm sure I do lots of things that are contrary to what the "experts" would advise. In this case, I don't have problems with pests, plants grow well enough for me and there's always something to pick - the beds are never empty. In fact, I leave some of the salad leaves to self seed in the beds.
          Until this year, I grew http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...age_70033.html - with photos

Comment

It makes you wonder how much of the advice comes from the Victorian era of gazillions of gardeners and everything needing to be perfect all the time or they're for the chop.

Comment

I wash my pots and tubs every year (March/April time) ahead of the new season. The compost in them gets partially recycled (whats left after the old roots have been removed, then remixed with new compost and FBB). And the compost in the border (of original greenhouse at least, not got around to filling up the border in my current one), I just used to turn it every spring, and now and again add a barrow load of compost. Tomatoes grew well enough year on year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X