No announcement yet.

Raised Greenhouse 'Floor' - Material?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you have to do is make sure that your bricks are firm enough not to slip and are level with the flag stones .

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I used my "cake leveller" to make sure mine were level
      https://www.prettywittycakes.co.uk/s...-straight-tool

Comment

Dare I say Hammer & Chisel?
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
          I've been tempted! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
            I used a hammer first

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              I used a hammer first
              Noooooooooooooooooooooooo
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

What ever you decide to do please to not follow the idea in #3 about sticking timber through your front side window. It is very dangerous both to you and other road users and against the law. If the old bill saw you, you would get pulled, ticketed for a dangerous load and not allowed to proceed unless you remove the timber.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Decking comes in 1.8m lengths which should fit in most cars. I've just transported 40 lengths over the back seat & down into the footwell, no problem.

Comment

Any good timber merchant would cut it to size for free. If your worried about bricks being unstable use 3 inch concrete blocks. If I had to store tools and stuff in my GH there would be no room for plants, wont they let you have a shed too?
                    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

If you can't have a shed what about a tool store?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I've just seen the extra comments here, so apologies for the delay responding!

I do have a 'bench' style store, which is used for tools like Fork, Spade etc.

In the end, I got the contractor to come back and flag the rest of it so it's all solid. It was only done last night, and ended up costing me more than timber or stone would have - but it saved me the hassle of trying to 'make do', and hopefully I won't need to do any upkeep. Photo attached (In reality it looks much 'tidier' than the photo shows, and when I took this it had literally just been finished).

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                          Any good timber merchant would cut it to size for free. If your worried about bricks being unstable use 3 inch concrete blocks. If I had to store tools and stuff in my GH there would be no room for plants, wont they let you have a shed too?
                          This DOES NOT include B&Q, who refuse to cut treated wood in case it breaks the saw blade unless you are prepared to pay £50 for a new blade...

They will sell you a saw so you can cut the decking to size in the car park mind you...

:eyeroll: :facepalm:

As for the greenhouse at hand, I'm with the "Hit it with a hammer" Approach, but then my lust for power tools cuts in and I think that'd be the perfect excuse to go buy an Angle grinder (Bosch or Makita, I'd be happy with either!) and cut the flags supporting the GH to the size I wanted, failing that beg, borrow or steal an Angle grinder to do the job.

I'd be very worried about storing tools and bits in a Greenhouse, far too easy for beady eyes to see and wonder if they can have them away! Just me though, being from Manchester originally I worry about that kind of thing...
                          Life should be more like Bonsai...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X