• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
    On a cold night, this time of year, the temperature falls until dawn
    Yep.

Temperature graph in my greenhouse for yesterday afternoon and last night:

Last night the temperature fell steadily from 13C at 8pm to 5C at 6:30am. This is quite mild.

The previous day's graph was a similar shape but the low (also at 6:30am) was a nippy 1.8C. Much too cold for unprotected tomatoes or chillis: it was below 5C in there for a solid 5 hours.
    Attached Files
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Handy piece of kit that has turned out to be
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
        Yep.

Temperature graph in my greenhouse for yesterday afternoon and last night:
        What do you use to get that information? I am looking for a new thermometer for my greenhouse and getting a graph would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by xtra_time View Post
          What do you use to get that information? I am looking for a new thermometer for my greenhouse and getting a graph would be good.
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ter_83238.html
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Lamboluke View Post
            So from reading this I've started to put my toms, chilli's and cucumbers etc into the greenhouse during the day and bringing them in of an evening. A massive pain but I'd.hate to loose them all from a frost.
            Regarding the low but not frost causing temps, what are the opinions of keeping the above type out in the greenhouse other than if frost temps are predicted.
            I've read some are not bothered and keep them out and don't notice any issues and others who do bring them in not necessarily because it would be low enough for a frost but instead because the plant is happier inside in the warmth at night.
            I'm still coddling chillies and I haven't sowed cucumbers yet. Im my experience, tomatoes seem able to cope with the cold better than chillies, so I'll keep chillies inside until they get too big. Cucumbers can be downright sucidal so you have to be careful with them.

It also depends on how sheltered your garden is. It is a risk to leave them out, which is why one year I left out half and coddled half. The half outside, sat and sulked for a bit but then romped away once the weather warmed up. Now I don't fuss with the tomatoes, just leave them to it. I've got far too many other things going on with out dealing with that faff twice a day.

The problem is, sometimes we get cold nights in June, so if I was to wait until night time temps were consistently above 10 degrees - like 'they' say you're suposed to - I'd never get them out.

Comment

My toms and chillis are now sat in the greenhouse on a heated propagator base but with the lid off to start preparing them for normal air.

My baby cucumbers are also on a heated prop but with the lid on to keep it steamy.
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I had my tom and pumpkins in the greenhouse Friday and Saturday night but i've stuck them in the porch for tonight it's going to drop to 1 - 2 degress tonight.
                I've left some flowers in there, covered them with some bubble wrap and fleece. Will remove this before i go work.
                @thecluelessgardener

Comment

Just got back from the lottie and all is well in the polytunnel, I was a bit worried as it was supposed to get as low as 1C last night. Aubergines, cukes, chillies and toms all looking great. My polytunnel sown Tomatillos have even germinated. First early crop of pak choi and komatsuna is going great as well.
                  I'm guessing the large volume of air in my 6mx3m poly takes a while to cool down so the couple of cool hours at dawn isnt enough to have much of an effect, but i also have a 500 litre water tank in their to act as a heat sink as well.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by unclefudgly; 13-04-2015, 05:39 PM.
                  Death to all slugs!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X