Adding a second window to GH ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
    I to use both, but as I said it is now most unusual to see general drawings in imperial only measurements.
    My sketches are much more likely to say 6" than 150mm but I never want to be thought of as standard ��

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Depends on how accurate you need to be.

I do a lot of scale model boat building and the two are not easily interchangeable. So if I am using old imperial plans I work purely in imperial down to thou's. If its a modern plan I work purely in metric down to tenths of a mill.

I just find it so much easier than trying to convert at that level.
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Depends on how accurate you need to be.

I do a lot of scale model boat building and the two are not easily interchangeable. So if I am using old imperial plans I work purely in imperial down to thou's. If its a modern plan I work purely in metric down to tenths of a mill.

I just find it so much easier than trying to convert at that level.
        Indeed, same with cooking and weights, best to stick with one or the other for the entire recipe.

I do however have to convert a lot at work as the original plant will have probably been built to standard imperial sizes and the new to metric - but then there will be a bit of process equipment from the U.S. which will be in inches again. I've just got used to it but it did confuse a Turkish colleague no end

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Sorry I had to smile, just the thought of someone from a totally foreign back ground like that poor person trying to convert metric to imperial or visa versa. I wonder what they would make of furlongs, chains and pecks.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'm sure you good folks know this, but Google is happy to do the unit conversion for you (and if you have, say, Chrome then it will do the calculation in the predictive-text popup select-list)

2 inches in mm =

(2 + 1/16) inches in mm =

4 inches + 3 mm in cm =

and so on ...
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Sorry I had to smile, just the thought of someone from a totally foreign back ground like that poor person trying to convert metric to imperial or visa versa. I wonder what they would make of furlongs, chains and pecks.
              I know, the poor guy. It didn't help that he (not unreasonably) assumed that 2' 10" was 2.1 foot. He almost cried when somebody had explained as he had to start from scratch. He wasn't good with the use of weird local datums either - although I'm now more worried that auto correct tried to correct datums to dating!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X