Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soaker hose in polytunnel/greenhoues beds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking a Y junction with two stoppered soak hoses like this:

Attached Files
    He-Pep!

Comment

Wouldn't do any harm to join them at the bottom (if no obstacles in the way) as it would even the pressure across the two limbs.

You could put a dish under the near, and far, ends of the limbs and see it they fill up at a roughly even rate, if they do then no need to do anything else. If the near ends fill up a lot more quickly then I would try joining the ends. A lot will depend on how long the limbs are - a few feet and should be no problem, tens of yards and it will struggle. Lots of limbs - might start to struggle again.
      Last edited by Kristen; 31-01-2014, 07:18 PM.
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I agree with Kristen bario, I think you will find it more effective if you were able to connect them into a loop but if it's only a short distance it may not be necessary.

Comment

Or simply experiment and feed back what's more effective
          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

My configuration in the first year had to cross the path like that so I cut the hose like you've done but connected the loose ends with a short length of solid garden hose so there would be no dripping over the path. Lidl and aldi sell sets of various hose connecters cheaply during spring, very handy for this. I used 2 to connect the pieces together. You could also use a short length (2 inches) of half inch copper pipe to join them.

Comment

Ok, so can anyone reccommend a reliable and inexpensive timer - one that'll work with low pressure?

Thanks.
              He-Pep!

Comment

I have the one from Aldi. It works perfectly and actually has two timers in the one unit. They will be out during the spring time. I'm always watching the offers so I'll PM you when they come out. You wont need it until things hot up in May/June so there's no hurry.
                Steer clear of the one from Lidl. It needs much higher pressure to open the valve so works on mains only.

This is the one ...
                https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...igation-timer/

Comment

I got the basic Hoselock one cheap off ebay

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have procured a 40 gallon cold water tank from g*mtree to add to my reservoir. I now want to use this as my header tank. Thing is, the tank has two outlets at the bottom with copper fittings - does anyone know how i can connect these to a hose? I tried a standard 3/4" hose connector, but it's too small (just)... any plumbers out there know what size these fittings are? If i can't fit a hose to them, i'll just have to block them up somehow and make a new hole for a standard water butt tap.
                    He-Pep!

Comment

Would a piece of 3/4" hose, heated by dipping in a bowl of how water, push over the end? When it cooled it would hold tight, and you could then put the 3/4" connector on that?

Comment

Have they got threads? What diameter are they?

Comment

Yes they have threads on the outside (i.e. male) i think they are possibly 22mm, but can't be sure without buying another connector, which may or may not fit! I wondered if anyone knew what the standard fittings were for this kind of tank? I can't see any 22mm > standard 1/2" hose adapters anywhere on E**y anyway.
                          I don't want to have to buy a different guage hose just for this, Kristen - and the 3/4 adapter i have is for connecting a hose to a tap, not for connecting two hoses together.
                          Complicated!
                          He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                            I don't want to have to buy a different guage hose just for this,
                            Indeed. I was assuming you would have a bit lying around, or that you could cadge a bit perhaps??

can't be sure without buying another connector, which may or may not fit!
                            Push a piece of paper over the pipe, carefully, then take it off an measure the diameter? (Vernier callipers would be easier - if you happen to have or can borrow some).

That won't help with the thread though as there are various different standards, but if you were able to find some hose of that diameter that you could persuade onto it (secured with a jubilee clip if it wasn't tight enough on its own) then you would only need an adapter from that hose to the final hose you want to use.

Short of that you need a connector with the right diameter AND type of thread (which is determined by the "pitch" between the threads, and how "deeply" the threads are cut into the pipe). Its probably a standard size, but the only way I know to find out is to try fitting a nut to it - which is fine if you have a suitable nut, or if you can get the piece of pipe to a plumbing shop for them to try, but hard to determine otherwise

Comment

Hmm, think i'll just remove the old outlet fittings, patch the holes with bits of plastic and sealant and drill a new hole for my water butt tap! It's never simple is it??
                              He-Pep!

Comment

It's never simple is it??

I like your idea of closing off the existing connections and fitting the one that is the right size for what you want.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X