best time to plant chilli seeds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ja9 View Post
    They look like they are coming on well.Mine are at a similar stage and have just potted them on into single pots. Moved out of the heated propagator now and into a windowsill in doors as trying to heat the greenhouse to at least 10oC seems a little excessive!
    Has anyone sown Aubergines yet? I have, as always seem to run out of the summer and end up with disappointingly small fruit ,so going for an early start this year.
    Paul do you have a very big greenhouse for all those chilli plants?!!
    I started my aubergines last week but too early to see anything yet, still in the heated prop. I started germinating old packets of chillies in takeaway containers between damp kitchen roll but had really poor results but as I said, they were old!

Just about to start fresh seed tomorrow.

Comment

When potting on Chillies, I always sink the baby plants stem deeply into the compost.

Basically so that the seed leaves are literally just a couple of mm above the compost....

I do the same with tomatoes....

Comment

What a lot of chilli seedlings .Last year I cut back one of my chilli plants(Cayenne).I have it inside and it is shooting well,even started flowering.I don't know if this will work for other varieties but shall cut all back this year and save the bother of sowing too any seeds.BigV

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

As a beginner and having read loads of stuff I decided to start my first bash at chillies early, so first week in January I sowed Jalapeņo and Ring of Fire, these started to get leggy so I borrowed my daughters philips daylight sad lamp and perched it on top of my propagator ! they are all doing ok but I am now worried if I can keep them long enough in the heat before they go to the greenhouse ! the smaller ones are a small basket of fire houseplant type sown about four weeks ago ! this year for me will be a steep learning curve I think !

QUESTION ?

I have seen how to top peppers to encourage a bushy plant, if my chillies get too large to handle in the propagator at what age could you do that or do you have to wait until they are larger ?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Paul Bromley; 14-02-2014, 07:18 AM.

Comment

With chillies I nip off the growing tip when they are around 8 inches tall.

I never nip off habaneros, I just leave them be....

Nice looking seedlings there
            Last edited by chilli_grower; 14-02-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Many thanks I will follow your advice and that will let me keep them in the heated prop until they can safely go to the greenhouse.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X