Polydebristunnel.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi BM

Isn't cutting into your polytunnel just destroying the reason for having a polytunnel in the first place?

I have one as a substitute for a greenhouse, where I can propogate seedlings earlier than outside, and grow plants like tomatoes, chillis and cucumbers which would struggle in our lovely northern weather.

If I cut away the top of mine it would take away it's reason for exisiting.

Andy
    http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Originally posted by Samurailord View Post

Isn't cutting into your polytunnel just destroying the reason for having a polytunnel in the first place?
      I agree - polytunnels are effective because they create a microclimate - if the top is open to the elements then you have a fruitcage. Watering is a pain in the ar.. er, neck, but its the price you pay for an extended growing season.
      He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by Samurailord View Post
        Totally agree but it's causing me more problems than it's worth & to be fair I have not noticed any difference to growing in the greenhouse, in fact the greenhouse has faired better than the PT. I believe by having a poly bottom & debris top it will still create a microclimate without cooking the plants & will also have access to the rain.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Get your knife out BM and just do it. If its causing you grief you're better off without it. You'll still have a protected area to play in
          EDIT - why not remove the cover completely and sell it to someone with a tatty cover? Then cover the frame in netting and a bit of poly along the sides if you must?
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 19-08-2013, 10:52 AM.

Comment

If & when I decide to do it, I'll post some pics.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Get your knife out BM and just do it. If its causing you grief you're better off without it. You'll still have a protected area to play in
              Good plan! I was only using a little arts and crafts type staple gun but if you have a decent one it may well hold together. You could always extend the debris netting over the top of the bit on the sides anyway as a bit of extra security.
              http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

That was my thought Vikki. To overlap each panel by 1 foot. It is a decent staple gun I have, it was used to create my cages & are holding together fine for the moment. If the wind happens to batter the poly sides, I have the convenience of netted windows that can be wound up.

Comment

What a muppet I am.......don't all agree at once.........
                  Was think about the comment VC made about making cuts in the poly above the beds.........then I thought, why don't I just remove the lickle squares of poly from the original cover above the beds.......that would work......I think......

Comment

Removing the lickle squares - isn't that the complaint that is made about those covers? That the squares fall out and it leaks? So selective removal should help your watering problem and maintain the integrity of the cover. If it doesn't, you still have your original plan to fall back on. Keep your options open......good plan

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      What a muppet I am.......don't all agree at once.........
                      Was think about the comment VC made about making cuts in the poly above the beds.........then I thought, why don't I just remove the lickle squares of poly from the original cover above the beds.......that would work......I think......
                      That would work... it will also just happen over time! Leave it out in the snow and the job may well get done for you! Of course you still have the watering to do in the meantime, I guess!
                      http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Yep - first winter did for my polycover - it really did become self watering

Comment

Brilliant.......I love it when a plan comes together..........cheers.........
                          Who'd have thought I would buy a PT only to wish it had holes.........
                          Last edited by Bigmallly; 20-08-2013, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Who'd have thought I would buy a PT only to wish it had holes.........
                            Probably most of us............ Nutter ^^^^^

Comment

Wonder how long it'll be before one of the big boys nicks my idea.................yeh, ok, probably never.......

Comment

I think they already have, BM, that's why the little bits fall off so easily - ventilation and watering are readily available just by removing the squares - it'll be in their ads next - you watch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X