Debris netting over polytunnel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debris netting over polytunnel

Hi, can anyone advise me whether covering my polytunnel with a layer of debris netting would seriously reduce its effectiveness?

Thanks.
    He-Pep!

What are you hoping to achieve by using the netting (presumably over the polythene cover)?
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

When I bought my tunnel I also bought a shade net, a bit like debris netting. It works well and keeps the temperature down.

If your tunnel is clear plastic and not the green type it would give you shade. If it is the green type it could give you too much shade.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
        What are you hoping to achieve by using the netting (presumably over the polythene cover)?
        I was wondering the same!

It would provide shade in there if that was the aim but maybe too much.

Worth considering that if you put it over the ends as well you'll struggle with pollination inside.
        http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

The aim is simply to make the tunnel 'blend in' a bit. It is the clear plastic type and stands out like a sore thumb amongst the greenery. I wouldn't cover the ends, just the sides and top.

Thanks for your replies.
          He-Pep!

Comment

Well it depends on what you are growing in there. The light levels are already lower than you would get in a greenhouse and the general agreement seems to be that tomatoes and peppers/chillies are not as good as under glass. If you only plan to grow plants that can cope with lower light like brassica /lettuce you'll probably be ok but I would say you were defeating the object of having this wonderful facility available to you!

Is it just that it is so new you haven't got used to it yet? If it is new the shininess soon wears off and before you know it you will be worrying about cleaning it to get the best growing conditions for your plants.

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Interesting I find I get better time and peppers in my tunnel rather than my greenhouse. Also could never get any aborigines in the greenhouse at all but do well in the tunnel. Re the cover, I think tunnels look fine whereas it would look scruffy covered in netting

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Doh !!!^^^^ aborigines?

Comment

LOL, should be aubergines - bleeding predictive text!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    Also could never get any aborigines in the greenhouse at all..
                    I have a lot of chileans in my polytunnel....
                    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                      ... general agreement seems to be that tomatoes and peppers/chillies are not as good as under glass.
                      Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      Interesting I find I get better time and peppers in my tunnel rather than my greenhouse.
                      Interesting, I have no direct comparison so it is only so called received wisdom. As so many people end up painting their greenhouses white to cut down the light on their tomatoes it's hard to see how a tunnel wouldn't be as good and in a decent summer it's more about keeping temps down and ventilation up, isn't it?

Is it a humidity thing with the aub's, do you think? I've been misting mine in the last few weeks after they seemed to get a bit miserable even though they had plenty of water at the roots.

Comment

My shade net only covers the top and about half way down the sides and I don't seem to have any problems with light levels. Mind you I only put it on in May and take it off in September. If you put it on neatly it shouldn't make the tunnel look scruffy.

If you Google 'Serres Tonneau' you can see exactly what I have.

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                        The aim is simply to make the tunnel 'blend in' a bit. It is the clear plastic type and stands out like a sore thumb amongst the greenery. I wouldn't cover the ends, just the sides and top.

Thanks for your replies.
                        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

called at my local g c the other day and i noticed they were using some for shading

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X