Greenhouse and rainwater

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse and rainwater

What does everyone use to get water from their greenhouse guttering into a waterbutt? I have a greenhouse with 2 mini guttering but not sure what to use to fill the waterbutt
    Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

I catch the water off my house but there's no way I could do it with the greenhouse, it's only 8' x 14' anyway so I wouldn't catch much rain.

Comment

Mark most manufacturers have their own system of water collection.

If you know the maker that would be a start.

Potty
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Not got a name of the manufactrurer im afraid
        Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

The guttering on my GH has a hole at one end that is just big enough for a hosepipe, use a bit of wire to hold it in place

Comment

The blue water pipe that some people use to make cloche hoops is the right size to fit mine. Measure the diameter of the hole and have a look on Screwfix or similar for some pipe to fit

Comment

I find eBay is good for finding such things, seems all manufacturers have their own downpipe fixings, on eBay you can ask questions from seller and most times get photos to compare to your gutters or try a cut down plastic bottle and tube/pipe to your water butt. Last summer I had no problem collecting rain water.
              "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

I use the top of a plastic lemonade bottle wired to the end of the gutter. I have also drilled a couple of holes in the guttering ant the water trifles through......the bottle is attached to the tubing that goes into the butt.......

Free!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

if all else fails, invest in some fibreglass and resin as used for car body repairs etc and fashion an outlet from the greenhouse gutter that will fit whatever piping you choose to use.

Darwin, of course you can gather water from your 14ft x 8ft greenhouse. Even a 6ft x 8ft shed can help gather meaningful amounts of water as many of us on allotments can testify.

Comment

^^^asolutely agree with AP re collecting from 14 x 8 greenhouse thats a big area to be collecting from...my 12 x 8ish greenhouse collects a massive amount of water in no time at all.

To answer the original question I use something like these Fuel Funnel | Clas Ohlson as they have an inbuilt filter & i have a few trees at the back of my greenhouse -I picked mine up for £1 from poundshop though. Just wired handle to guttering
                    Last edited by Hans Mum; 06-04-2013, 08:49 AM.
                    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Darwin. View Post
                      I catch the water off my house but there's no way I could do it with the greenhouse, it's only 8' x 14' anyway so I wouldn't catch much rain.

,boy are you in for a supprise when you get it fitted up,just think what collects into any containers left outside,in the rain,start collecting barrels ready
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

One downpour last year from my 8ft x 12ft shed filled a 100ltr butt ot overflowing.

Potty
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Mark have a look at this thread about DIY greenhouse guttering downpipes :-

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ing_45524.html

just been out and taken an updated photo showing the water butt.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Bren In Pots; 06-04-2013, 03:48 PM.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

32mm kitchen sink plumbing stuff is what we need apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                              32mm kitchen sink plumbing stuff is what we need apparently.
                              That's what we used

The pipes joined to the GH gutter by cutting 2 slots in a pipe and pushing that in place with a bit of mastic so it doesn't leak.
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X