Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which greenhouse 'shape' is more usable?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which greenhouse 'shape' is more usable?

If the choice of greenhouse was either long and narrow, or shorter but wider, which do people think might be more usable in practice? Or is it 6 and half a dozen?

I think the all over size might end up being fairly similar so I don't think one would necessarily give more space than the other. It would just be different space, iyswim.

Both possible spaces are in sun and quite sheltered.

I don't have specific sizes presently, I'm just mentally trying to picture where a greenhouse would be best in the garden and I'm not sure if shape is an issue, I've never had a greenhouse before.

Have the largest you can fit in!
    Get yourself some squared paper and draw on it the GH sizes you're thinking of. Then draw a central path on each of about 2' wide. What is left, on both sides of the path and across the far end away from the door is the amount of space you can use for growing (roughly!).

Comment

I'd go for length personally, extra width isn't particularly useable unless you're looking at something like 12ft upwards and could then fit in 3 rows or beds.

Comment

Thanks both.

I've just read a thread where a link was given to a 'build your own' site and I'm now wondering about utilising an existing shed and building my own greenhouse off it.

I think it would be quite useful having a shed end for storage and a greenhouse end for growing.

My ideas were simple till I came here. I'm now building allsorts in my head.

Will need to mull things over.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
          I'd go for length personally, extra width isn't particularly useable unless you're looking at something like 12ft upwards and could then fit in 3 rows or beds.
          Exactly. I've got a 14x8 greenhouse, and with a single row of tomatoes down each side there is a large gap in the middle, which is difficult to utilise efficiently.

Just putting in a double row of tomatoes (on each side) I think might produce too much shade, so last year I had a single row of toms in buckets down the middle of the greenhouse, but once they got going it was difficult to get around without knocking them over, or just damaging the branches.

So personally I'd try to go for either 6ft wide, or 10ft wide.
          The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
          William M. Davies

Comment

Originally posted by Paulieb View Post
            Exactly. I've got a 14x8 greenhouse, and with a single row of tomatoes down each side there is a large gap in the middle, which is difficult to utilise efficiently.

Just putting in a double row of tomatoes (on each side) I think might produce too much shade, so last year I had a single row of toms in buckets down the middle of the greenhouse, but once they got going it was difficult to get around without knocking them over, or just damaging the branches.

So personally I'd try to go for either 6ft wide, or 10ft wide.
            I have a 10x6 and a 10x8 but have about the same amount of growing space in each because, as Paul says the middle isn't very usable.
            This thread has made me rethink the layout of the 8' wide one and I'm going to try the 2' wide potting bench in the centre and have an 18" wide planting strip along the outer edges. First empty the GH

Comment

Excuse the mess but this might work I've put a growbag sized gravel tray along each side - just for an idea, and the potting bench is slightly offcentre to give more room on the right for working. Because its under the apex of the roof, I could grow taller things on it that I can when its on the outer edge - or squashes that trail down from the bench.
              I'll give it a go this year Thanks for making me think about it

Edit - adding a photo of the original layout for comparison
              Attached Files
              Last edited by veggiechicken; 18-03-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

I would go for a long and wide everytime, the end furthest from the door is the warmest spot and is perfect for your cucumbers, unlike tomatoes they won't tolerate the cold by the door.

Mine is 10 x 6, and is a little small really, I would much rather my potting bench and seed bed was up the middle and my toms and salads were around the perimeter.
                Last edited by Mikey; 18-03-2013, 04:38 PM.
                I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Just like I've done in mine then Mikey This one is 10 x 8

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Just like I've done in mine then Mikey This one is 10 x 8
                    Which location is the greenhouse you are talking about?

One of my neighbours has a 12 x 10 greenhouse, which I covert. I'm waiting for him to give up on his hydroponics and let me buy it off him!!!!
                    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

In Cardiff, Mike, its the one I acquired from the neighbours over the wall.

Comment

I've got a 14' x 8' greenhouse and a 26' x 10' polytunnel. The extra 2' in the tunnel doesn't really give me much extra growing space for planting. The longer you can get the better for me.

Comment

I've got an 8x20, only pic I could find. I have a double row on each side, the plants closest to the glass are in the ground, the second row usually in pots with a path down the middle. The slats in my work bench get taken out when the toms are planted in which gives a frame to tie into. It does get like a jungle in there during the summer but its no hardship to take a few pots out and rearrange if I can't get to the back.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                            I'd go for length personally, extra width isn't particularly useable .
                            Speak for yerself

Originally posted by Gael View Post
                            I'm now building allsorts in my head.
                            Don't forget space for a hammock, in the gh.

There's nothing like sitting in it,while it's raining outside, you're surrounded by tomatoes, with a book and a glass in your hands
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Personally I had a 8ft wide by 6ft long and a 6ft by 12 ft greenhouse, 6ft was a little too narrow for me and my plants, I'm not a small fella though so for me, 8ft wide is preferable to 6ft wide.... Horses for courses though, VC was correct, get the largest your space/ pocket can afford, assuming that you will use the investment to it's max

EDIT: That said, I built a small retaining wall for mine to raise it up as I'm also not short... It saved me loads of bruises
                              Last edited by RedThorn; 18-03-2013, 06:05 PM.
                              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X