Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass, toughened glass or polycarbonate?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass, toughened glass or polycarbonate?

I've lost couple of panes of standard glass already this season. The slightest ding and a pane is gone.
    I'm swithering whether to replace the panes with glass again, get toughened glass or polycarbonate.
    The cutting charges are quite hefty for what are standard sized panes!

Where are you getting it from?

Comment

I'd go for toughened glass, polycarbonate is too flimsy for where my greenhouse is and would be blowing out all the time. However if yours is in a sheltered spot it might be okay?

Comment

I agree with Sarz, having had a polycarbonate greenhouse, I wouldn't buy another, very flimsy.
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Hey up LL! Good to 'see' you x

Comment

'ello Sarz, haven't been round these 'ere parts for a while!!
            Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
              Where are you getting it from?
              I'm not sure yet. When my dad was around he got glass from a nearby glazier, (not sure the price) and polycarb from the local signmaker which I recall he said was about £18 a pane. I looked online to see if I could find cheaper polycarbonate panes. One site looked promising it said four pound odd for a sheet, then I filled in the webform with the measurements and it emerges that was just the cutting charge, each pane was about £18.

The greenhouse is patched with 6mm flooring ply and previously broken panes just now.

I'd like to go for toughened, I assume it's really expensive but it would survive transport from an online supplier.

Any off the shelf supplier recommendations?

Comment

I just get mine from the nearest double-glazing company. Costs about £4 for a standard pane.

Comment

Depends what you mean by polycarbonate sheet.

Single skin can be very flimsy and to be honest I wouldn't touch it. However if your looking at 4mm twin wall or greater then that is a different matter correctly fixed with the right silicone you will have no problems.

I have had my poly glazed GH for 4 years and haven't lost a pane yet.

Potty.
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X