Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water matting or capilliary matting - what do you use?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very tidy setup Martin, I did a more lo-fi version last year in my greenhouse with two gravel trays, the bottom one had water in it, then there was another one resting on upturned 3" plant pots with the matting hanging over into the bottom one. Worked a treat!
    He-Pep!

Comment

OK, I've finished setting up workbench and shelf now:

I've put water in the one on the right to make sure it works. After 24 hours the fabric is wet all over, so I'm happy it's going to do the trick.

I won't put water in the others until the spring (except for the propagators) because I don't want too much humidity in there at this time of year.
      Attached Files
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I've now finished the other side of the greenhouse. This is where I will put tomatoes this year, also cucumbers at the back against the wall.

I've used the same principle as the benches in the previous post, but with additional strengthening braces because the trays are spanning gravel trays and not being supported all over:

While cleaning out I did find a couple of dozen overwintering snails hiding under the rims of the gravel trays. Sneaky little things, I don't know how they get in! But it's all clean and tidy ready for the spring now.
        Attached Files

Comment

Is that one of the long trays sold as growbag trays Martin?

Funnily enough I had almost the same idea but (being much less practical than you), I was just going to get two trays and about half a dozen bricks, put the matting in the bottom tray, stand the bricks on top, then the top tray, then lay the end of the mat into the top tray.

Same principle but easier to manage
          Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Sounds like a plan, SV, I'm sure it would work. The bricks should counter the lack of rigidity in the top tray alright.

I'm going to see how it goes for this season, could probably do with deeper water reservoirs if I'm honest.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X