No announcement yet.

Design your own greenhouse!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skin on my tunnel has split in this it's 10th year. Not replacing the skin till Court thing final. should be able to reskin for around £100.

can it be done by one person? Well yes but not if there is the slightest breeze. mine is 25ft x 10ft. Skin is presently nailed on through fillets of pressure treated wood so all that has to come off beforehand. Needs to be done in advance. Once the reskinning is started, it has to be finished the same day as it would be too risky to chance there being no wind overnight.

Can covers be recycled? Dunno. They go brittle so little point in using in the plot. I will try to recycle if the council has a facility for this

Greenhouses have class. Not using that in a snobbie fashion. Just they can mature whereas tunnels do degrade. That make sense?

Comment

I'd be happy with either...
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Get it from here, Cut to Size - Twinwall Polycarbonate For Greenhouses - Clear 4mm, 6mm, 10mm, 16mm, 25mm
        cut to size, it should just slide up the groves that the glass was in, from the eaves.
        Lift it a little from inside to run a bead of silicone down each side to hold it in.

If they made them from the same components as conservatories they'd be stronger, but quite a lot more expensive, unfortunately

Comment

Glass is certainly more durable than polycarbonate but that is just about it's only advantage. Poly is lighter, easier to work and a lot less expensive. It does however need to bit fitted with care.

The poly used for the GH is usually 4mm thick the same as standard horti glass and come in 1200mm x 610mm sheets. However it is very easy to cut with a stanley knife and a straight edge. Using the correct translucent silicone during fixing is the key to a lasting build.

As to being able to slide into a glazing bar someones already thought of that it's how mine are fitted.

Potty
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Theres another polycarb link here but don't know how it compares to Thelmas site. All depends on how much you need, are you thinking of replacing the whole roof?

Greenhouse Glazing, 4mm Twinwall Polycarbonate
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks BM. If I replace anything with polycarbonate it'll just be the 2 sections with broken glass. Can't face the hassle of removing all the roof glass just for the hell of it. May try to get some locally, just to try it out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X