MIce in my ploytunnel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIce in my ploytunnel

I discovered at the weekend that I have some mice in the polytunnel. They burrowed in under the scaffold boards on the raised beds and are setting up nests under the soil. The thought of killing them with traps or whatever horrifies me, I respect their right to live! It's a real dilemma. They've been nibbling the few remaining tomatoes, which I dont mind at this stage to be honest but obviously they will breed and it will become a nightmare next year. Is there anything I can do to get them out or deter them? I really dont want to kill them but understand it cant go on.
    Cheers

You do of course know the answer without asking the question. I was born and brought up in the country and have no qualms whatever about doing what is necessary. You can of course get hold of some traps which can be used to capture the beasties alive and then transport them somewhere else and release them. That of course is just transferring the problem to someone else but that prospect may be more acceptable to you.

But here's a tale to consider.

At one time, I was demented with rabbits in my plot. They had burrowed under my shed and grazed off everything I planted except my spuds. After trying to snare them, unsuccessfully may I add, I got hold of a mink trap which works by closing the door after a beast tramps on a plate within the trap that is connected to the mechanism that keeps the door open. To keep a long story short(damn, I was just getting in to my stride), I caught the two miscreants. I would have shot them but my better half being a sensitive sole persuaded me that these two furry cuddly bleeding vandals should be transported somewhere else where they would do no damage. I therefore transported them a mile or so away and released them in the car park of the local church which is adjacent to woods on one side which would have been an ideal place for these two bunnykins to live out their days. The car park is also adjacent to a public road on the other side. I released the rabbits beside the wood. All they had to do was hop through the fence and they would have lived happily ever after. Did they do so? Well no they didn't, instead, they turned about and ran/hopped two hundred yards in the opposite direction straight on to the road. They tried playing dodge the passing cars but being inexperienced in the rules of the game found out within less than a couple of minutes that trying to run under the wheels of a car can be fatal. I was actually sorry that happened. I think it would have been kinder to them to have dealt with them as I originally intended.

Comment

Thanks for that Aberdeenplotter. Doh, didn't think of a humane trap. I hear what you're saying but the plots are out in the countryside so I can release them safely. I guess I'm just a cityslicker softy. Cheers

Comment

I share your qualms about living things, being someone who even fishes out spiders and flies from watering cans.. but you MUST do something about your mice. They get very cosy in polytunnels and some types will make elaborate tunnels and colonies in the soil under the plastic. In spring this year I couldn't understand why none of the early peas I planted didn't come up, and instead there was a small depression everywhere I sowed the seeds. The same happened with my broad beans. A few peas germinated and I was hopeful of some crop but then the blighters came along and nipped every emerging stem off at soil level. (Even mice have learnt the health benefits of 'bean and pea shoots'.)
        In the end I went out and got a couple of cheap traps, the old fashioned spring type. I caught one the first night, and two more in successive nights. In each case they were cleanly and abruptly killed, and these spring traps are probably the most humane type you can employ. You can use live trapping in a cage but even that causes great stress to the creature, and when you move it somewhere else, it has lost its colony, habitat and food source, so I'm not sure it's that humane.
        There will be plenty more mice that will return. For every one you kill, there will be several dozens more taken by cats, owls and so on. And you are protecting YOUR food source, so don't feel too badly about it!

Comment

Thanks BF, interesting perspective. The missus is hard as nails, might get her to set them
          Poor things, damn cartoons and cuddly toys.

Comment

Its the removal of the bodies that I can't cope with. I'm with you, redser, on this

Comment

Redser, There are various commercial products available to disturb rodents such as voles and moles (noise-makers, scents etc) and persuade them to move on (as might a resident cat!) which you might want to check out in your local garden centre - though I can't guarantee that they'll work....

Moving on to the next stage, because on a wider front the whole topic of animal welfare is so complex, there are various associations that issue guidelines etc on all aspects, one of which is the (UK) Universities Federation for Animal Welfare which you might find useful. E.g. on the humane control of rodents see

http://www.ufaw.org.uk/documents/Gui...Feb2509V19.pdf

UFAW don't totally shrink from killing rodents (except dormice which are evidently a protected species!) but they do try to advance humane methods rather than ones which might injure or distress.

No-one on this thread has yet mentioned some of the legal complexities of capturing and releasing rodents (which can itself be illegal if releasing on someone else's land or releasing in an environment which will cause distress to the released animal) but the article delves fully into those aspects too.

You obviously will need to find a solution - e.g. my local mice - which I don't encourage at all! - are extraordinarily effective at locating peas that I've sown, they even excavate them overnight from root-trainers unless I effectively surround them with devices, artillery and a contingent of SAS sharpshooters (I exaggerate slightly but you get the point...). Hopefully you can deal with a few mice humanely (and other mice will doubtless still be around) but your question raises some fascinating aspects that UFAW seek to investigate so hope you find the article of interest. bb.

Comment

yesterday we moved the contents of 3 compost bins,DH was shuveling when 1 ran out,straight towards the plot opposit,,they will find their way back no doubt,i don't mind them in that area,but NOT were my seeds are,this year it was slugs that did the deeds,2 years ago in the grow barn,mice had beans,several times,sooo,i in efect,wraped them in debri netting,that did the tric,just keep an eye on them,make sure you regular didturb the area,
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Thanks very much bazzaboy, it's a very informative read. I reckon the best course of action is a snap trap checked regularly and then try prevention and also good housekeeping to keep more out.
                  Cheers

Comment

Thanks lottie dolly but they are tunneling right under the raised beds inside the tunnel so I have to take action, sadly

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                      Thanks lottie dolly but they are tunneling right under the raised beds inside the tunnel so I have to take action, sadly
                      I don't blame you,afraid i would do the same in your shoe's,i was lucky that they dissapeared of their own,maybe because food was denied,we will never know,we sometimes just have to grit our teeth,and do whats nessassary
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

A cat would be a simple solution...
                        The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies.

Gertrude Jekyll

************NUTTERS' CLUB MEMBER************

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
                        Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll
                        tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Comment

Thanks, we have two. I reckon if I brought one to the allotments I'd never see it again. Anyway it's not pleasant watching your cat coughing up half-decomposed mice heads on the living room floor, trust me, I know.

Comment

Maybe the Pied Piper will take on a smaller rodent commission now that times are tough
                            The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies.

Gertrude Jekyll

************NUTTERS' CLUB MEMBER************

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
                            Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll
                            tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Comment

I baited our traps last night (with melted chocolate) and this morning had a casualty. It was gruesome, I won't go into details. I'm just glad his little belly was stuffed with chocky, he died happy.

(the traps are usually a nice clean, quick kill. I need to be more careful with the bait, and place it 'just so')
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X