What's best to grow

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's best to grow

Hi guys this is my first season growing in the green house and was just wondering if anybody could tell me what the best things are to grow in there this time of year. I have just sown in a batch of electric reds, and some winter lettuce out in the beds. just wanting some more ideas on what i could plant as it is a very large greenhouse and I would like to make most of the space which is available.

Thanks guys

The National Vegetable Society, Winter Crops from the Greenhouse

It's not only warmth that plants need, light is even more important. Nothing much will actively grow over winter, but you can certainly "overwinter" things in there, like autumn onions, salads, garlic etc.

GHs are also brilliant for getting an early start when the days start to lengthen again in March
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hello Mr Bloom. Welcome to the Vine. Whereabouts are you? If you add your location (nearest town) to your profile it will show up on your posts and save us having to keep asking. This information can make quite a difference to advice given.

Comment

warmth is not a problem as we have a radiator system running throughout the greenhouse which is powered by a Park ray log burning fire and we have the generator down there which provides pretty good artificial lighting when we need it. the set up which we run down there is quite good. oh and also I have rather a large grape vine which runs down the centre of the main greenhouse which provides quite a lot of bundles of grapes and are excellent to eat right of the vine
        Last edited by MrBloom; 03-10-2012, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBloom View Post
          I have rather a large grape vine which runs down the centre of the main greenhouse which provides quite a lot of bundles of grapes and are excellent to eat right of the vine
          Brilliant! I thought this was your first season though???

Comment

we took the allotment on at the back end of last so just got out what was already in, but this time round its all been done by me and my friend from scratch

Comment

OK.

Do you have a plan yet? Winter salads?

I also keep my garlic in the cold GH now, and plant it out in March: it does much better than an autumn planting

Comment

i only have 3 things sown in at the moment i have electric red onions which are in both greenhouses and i have a patch of them outside also. i have radish down and a nice bit of Winter lettuce. i was thinking about putting some garlic in but im in 2 minds over that one yet

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  OK.

Do you have a plan yet? Winter salads?

I also keep my garlic in the cold GH now, and plant it out in March: it does much better than an autumn planting
                  Do you leave in modules all winter TS? How big are the modules? Planting Late October?

I'd like to try this?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Yes, planted October, to spend all winter in the cold gh. No heat, but as much light as poss.

Normal module size, what is that? one inch?

Comment

just a quick question guys, as i put in my post a little further up, i have planted some electric reds down and was just wondering how much water they actually need? how often would you recomend i water them....

Thanks guys

Comment

Why are you growing onions in the greenhouse Mr Bloom? Do you not have any usable beds in the open?

Comment

I'm growing rocket in my greenhouse at the moment, its seems to like it. I give most of it away, I can't keep up with it.
                          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

i have some onions in 3 beds outside but i just put some in the greenhouse as an old boy further up has put some in and he says he does very well with them in the GH so i thought i would give it a whirl

Comment

Originally posted by MrBloom View Post
                              just a quick question guys, as i put in my post a little further up, i have planted some electric reds down and was just wondering how much water they actually need? how often would you recomend i water them....

Thanks guys
                              I can't be specific but you water much less throughout the winter as the plants are not growing so actively. Also the more water you have in there the more ventilation you need to avoid mould, and because the weather is colder you will probably want to keep the windows and door closed!
                              So its a balance that you'll need to work out for yourself. Just keep the soil slightly damp.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X