No announcement yet.

Plastic greenhouse, is it worth it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I don't think I've seen Aberdeen Plotter here yet I shall keep an eye out for him! Thank you

Comment

My cucumber plants have grown happily in the 6ft plastic greenhouse. It's attached to the wall of the house and has a large tub in the base that the cucumbers are planted in which helps anchor it down. This greenhouse doubled up as a place for the seedlings earlier on, until the cucumbers took over and everything has done well in it.

Attached Files

Comment

Cool with a cucumber! Cazp!

Be careful over the winter. Your passage might not be as sheltered as you think.........pack it up for the winter. The covers also get wether beaten very quickly when exposed to the elements.

Welcome to the vine.

Loving my allotment!

Comment

i had one and i had 2 covers one for winter and one for summer. i got it off internet but i cannot remember where

Comment

I had a smaller one, basically just 4 shelves, and a cover, about 1.5m tall. It worked. But the plastic starting getting brittle and breaking after a year or two, and the metal frame rusted through.

I suppose an alternative is to build a lean to from waste wood and polycarbonate. Pressure treated rough cut wood is available at places like B&Q. Or get some scrap and apply a preservative.

You might want to check out ebay for used lean tos. Used greenhouses are cheap, not sure about lean tos, probably more desirable as easier to take apart and move.

Comment

Hi Lilith, I'll just reiterate everyone else and say be careful with a plastic greenhouse of any description, and I'd say if possible take it down for the winter, I had a polytunnel, that with one night of high winds turned into a very flat polytunnel I don't know wot your freecycle is like where you are, or of you use gumtree or preloved but I managed to get a 8 x 12 greenhouse free and a 8 x 6 for £20!! So you might get something a bit more sturdy. There is nothing worse than all your hard work disappearing in one bad lot of winds
              If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero

my memories of my garden http://lisamcflisagarden.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X