Its just too damp in there

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its just too damp in there

I have a question for you experienced peeps .....

I'm new at growing my own. I caught the bug in early spring and bought myself one of these PVC covered growhouses. Decent size for a starter and I can get in it and tend to my new seedlings - but here's my question - Its never dry in there. I know its partly due to the weather being so miserable but there is a permanent layer of condensation on the inside of it. I barely have to water oin there at the moment as it "rains" so regularly and stays so moist. I am starting to grow green or brown algae on some of the compost too.

I know its probably just the weather but I just wanted to pick your brains.

Here it is

Thanks everyone
    Attached Files
    Newbie but learning fast.

Is the growhouse ventilated at all? How close are your plants spaced? They may be too close together, creating extra humidity. Do you have any type of flooring that is able to drained?

Comment

I think ventilation of some kind would help maybe leave the door open slightly while weather is not being nasty but i'm no expert sure someone will be along to offer sound advice

When i looked at the position of your growhouse and what its sitting on my very first thought was (and i do mean very first) ooooo 8 * 6 GH would go lovely there

Comment

You're watering too much, and you need to open those zips to let the condensation out
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have a smaller version than you. It just has 4 shelves in it and I leave the 'door' open during the day now as temperatures are getting higher. In fact I have left it open all night aswell, last night included, but I haven't got anything in there that requires more heat like peppers or tomatoes.

Comment

Had one of those for the last two years and yes you need to open the zips for at least a while each day to let it dry out. Weather permitting of course! Try not to shake the water free, it will fall on the plants and can cause scorch when the sun comes out.
            These can heat up very very fast in direct sunlight, so be aware of the forecast and open it up to let some ventilation in.

Comment

As others have said, it's condensation Sarah due to overwatering. Nothing to do with the amount of rain you have had. Stick a thermometer inside & you will be surprised the amount of heat they can hold. As suggested, open the zip during the day.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Great tips everyone - Thank you. I have started leaving the zips open (today and yesterday) and is drier in there already.

I bought a thermometer a couple of weeks ago and when it was really cold and wet last week it wasnt getting much above 11 or 12c in there even in the day. Today and yesterday, when I opened the zips it was about 16 or so first thing in the morning, so it definitely holds the heat well - so obviously thats why its condensation.

Having the zips open and the temp dropping to the outside temp wont be too damaging to my peppers and toms though will it ?

Comment

Originally posted by sarah_rance View Post

Having the zips open and the temp dropping to the outside temp wont be too damaging to my peppers and toms though will it ?
                  I doubt very much whether the temperature will drop to the same level as outside, don't forget your plants in the greenhouse are protected from the wind which causes chilling. They will be much happier with better ventilation. Don't forget that heat rises, so if your toms and peppers are still small enough put them on a higher shelf.

Comment

You will do far more harm to your toms by not having enough ventilation it is one of the main causes of Botrytis.

Colin
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'm guessing that there is a greater ratio of damp compost/plants to air in a blowaway, compared to a stayput IYSWIM. A recipe for condensation.
                      Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
                      Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

Thanks everyone - They look fine with the door being open. I'll be doing that from now on.

Comment

Hi Sarah, It appears your problems have been sorted but i'll add my 2 pence worth because i have exactly the same experience and set up as you.

I found that these types of GH's heat up very quickly and condensation can build within 5 mins during the day despite it not being overly hot but they can cool down just as quick, which is a pain on a bad day and u want to vent.

Through trial and error i found on a cool day say around 6-10c open just 1 zip 3/4 of the way up, just lvl with the top shelf. That will clear most of the condensation whilst retaining most of the heat. On a good day I open both zips completely and let the door flap or tie it up depending on the temp inside.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X