Haygrove Polytunnel Owners

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haygrove Polytunnel Owners

Having seen a Haygrove polytunnel at yesterday's Edible Garden show, I am interested in whether current owners consider them a value for money tunnel. We are quite exposed at the top of a windy ridge and I noticed that the threaded rods they use to anchor them are about two foot long. This appeals to me. I also know that they guarantee the covers for five years. Have any outlasted those five years? I particularly like the roll up sides, leaving only mesh, thereby enabling you to leave the doors closed but still encourage air flow.
    I am only after the 3 x 4 metre size. Will I be happy with a Haygrove?

I am not asking for advice on other polytunnels at the moment thank you.
    Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 17-03-2012, 01:09 PM.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Hi VVG,

I have a Haygrove, 4m by 10m, and live in a very exposed. Can't say if the cover will survive more than 5 years as I got mine March 2010. The cover is very strong and does not tear from wind action. However, when rubbing against something will hole in tome. I have the shelving at both ends and the eye bold has rubbed through. Make such the cover is as tight as posible overwise it will flap in high winds, rubbing away the hot tape and then through the cover. These are holes, not tears, as they do not propagate sheding the thing. Haygrove's repair kit contains a thread which stiches the sides together. High winds, F9 and above, causes mine to shake and the doors to open.

Attached Files
    Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch and get dirt under your finger nails.

Comment

Thanks Dead Dogs, I hope they are not by the way ... It certainly looks remote and windswept up in the arctic circle they should hold in the midlands then?!
      What actually caused the wear holes? The high shelf fixings? I will just be growing in beds as I have a greenhouse so probably will not opt for a shelf.
      I was thinking of letting them erect it, so pulling it tight will be an issue for them and not me. Mr VVG said I can put that up but I want it done this year, so it won't be us
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

i have had mine for 3 years now absolutly brilliant love it the service i recieved was second to none it was also really easy to erect myself and oh did it over a weekend and hes not really a diyer hardest bit was getting the cover over as im only 5ft 3 its been really strong even with highest winds and snow the only problem i have had is the roll up sides flapping the noise drives me mad but i understand that they now fasten them down with double sided tape even after 3 years they offerd to send me some to do my tunnel with i have the table in mine and havent had any trouble with it rubbing through cant praise them enough

Comment

That sounds good WW. Ours will be sited about thirty foot from the house, adjacent to the greenhouse. The roll up sides looked fantastic. They had a crank handle. I don't recall seeing tape on it.

Comment

They say a pictureis is worth a thousand words. So hopefully tow thousand should describe has worn a hole in my poly. You can see how the eye bold has worn through the end cover. Even though ther have been several gales and a couple of Hurricanes strehgth winds, the hole has not tripped.

VVG, I had Haygrove erect mine. Well worth the cost for 2 guys all day. In hind sight I was very lucky as there was no wind that day. Picked up to reach F10 2 days later. A bonus for me was free delivery, which is rare this far north.

Attached Files
            Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch and get dirt under your finger nails.

Comment

Crikey and they can't replace that? I can see it must be very windy owing to the obvious knock marks but even so, I think I'd be asking for some Haygrove attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead Dogs View Post
                Hi VVG,

I have a Haygrove, 4m by 10m, and live in a very exposed. Can't say if the cover will survive more than 5 years as I got mine March 2010. The cover is very strong and does not tear from wind action. However, when rubbing against something will hole in tome. I have the shelving at both ends and the eye bold has rubbed through. Make such the cover is as tight as posible overwise it will flap in high winds, rubbing away the hot tape and then through the cover. These are holes, not tears, as they do not propagate sheding the thing. Haygrove's repair kit contains a thread which stiches the sides together. High winds, F9 and above, causes mine to shake and the doors to open.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27766[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27767[/ATTACH]
                I have seen these pics too on the Haygrove website - you're famous!

We are looking now at the 3 x 6 m. Just need to sell and move a Wendy house, then find a man with a mini digger.

Comment

[QUOTE=VirginVegGrower;975916]I have seen these pics too on the Haygrove website - you're famous!
                  QUOTE]

Yep, that'll be me.

Also gave an over the phone interview for the edible garden show. They used it in their peice called 'Tunnels of success for grow-your-owners'

Comment

[QUOTE=Dead Dogs;976451]
                    Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                    I have seen these pics too on the Haygrove website - you're famous!
                    QUOTE]

Yep, that'll be me.

Also gave an over the phone interview for the edible garden show. They used it in their peice called 'Tunnels of success for grow-your-owners'
                    I am impressed

Comment

Hi There
                      I had never grown anything ever until last year and bought a Haygrove 3 x4m tunnel. We live on a really windy site and it survived massive storms last May when other tunnels fell by the wayside. I bought it because of the fixing system with the long rods and have had not one bit of trouble. I have since recommended it to two other friends who have purchased Haygroves and are more than happy. It's quite simply a quality product. I found that spending a bit of time ssorting the fixings into sections prior to erecting the frame paid off and my husband and I put it up over two days, easy peasy! The resulting bounty of cucumbers, tomatoes, chillies, peppers, lettuces etc grown last summer as well as the beds and beds of chard, mustard, peas and lettuces that i overwintered has more than justified the cost.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, it was the fixing system, head height, mesh doors and sides that won me over. We are on top of an exposed ridge and I know the other tunnels just wouldn't stand up.

Comment

Thanks VVG. I spent about 2 hours last night "designing" my own tunnel.

Haven't bought it, but I know exactly what I want now

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                            Thanks VVG. I spent about 2 hours last night "designing" my own tunnel.

Haven't bought it, but I know exactly what I want now
                            Sorry Chris We get ours soon

Comment

Hi Creag,

Love your photo and see you use the same grow bed bags as I have in the greenhouse. Amazing the amount you can grow in a relatively small space. Neat shelving you have there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X