Bottle house

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle house

Has anyone on here ever tried making one?

I know it may be a little over ambitious for my first making project, but I'm going to give it a go.

I've got friends saving all of their empty plastic drinks bottles and am going to see one at a friends school later in the week.

Plans will no doubt change when I've seen the school one, but so far my thoughts are to build a frame, cover it with chicken wire...I have loads...and gradually build up the bottles. (possibly securing them with more chicken wire?)

I've also asked friends to look out for large sheets of plastic to temporarily fill any gaps whilst building.

There! I've committed myself to it now!
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Why don't you make it from wine bottles? I could help you there!
    http://www.reapscotland.org.uk/wp-co...tions_2004.pdf

Comment

Thanks, that link is far better than the ones that I'd found. Although all those canes could work out pricey.

Not sure how I'd cut the bottoms of of wine bottles....and as my preferred tipple is red, don't think they'd be much good anyway.

Thanks again for the link, it's made me even more excited

Comment

That's an amazing project, it must make a wonderfully insulated greenhouse! The cheapest canes I've seen are on amazon - fifty for £10.67, so that would cost you about £33 for 150, but maybe you could get them wholesale somewhere?

Edit: Or find a garden that grows bamboo and see if you can scrounge the prunings!
        Last edited by mothhawk; 26-02-2012, 04:43 PM.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

I've been having another google and it seems it can be done without canes.

I'll have a look at the one on Wednesday and see how it's done....and rely on my friends taking me seriously when I say I want their bottles.

Comment

What's exciting is, if it works, it can be a work in progress and be extended for next year....I might never get my poly tunnel, this could come close.

Comment

I think all systems go My dad has got me some rolls of plastic, so I'm going to make a start on the framework, cover with that and gradually build the bottle walls.

Comment

I've had a little re think. As my Dad has got me more plastic than I thought, the greenhouse will be made with that.

Still going to attempt a mini bottle one, just on a smalle scale.

I've got a couple of hotpiles on the go, a friend is giving me loads of horse manure. One, I'm going to grow squash on, the other I'm thinking of trying a couple of melons and aubergines, so will attempt to make a cloche type thing with bottles to fit on the top.

Comment

Did you ever get around to doing the bottle experiment ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X