Cloche hoops - advice appreciated

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marcofez View Post
    I know what I did now! Was following the thread on "walk in wonderwall" and got side tracked on cloches!
    Ha ha
    A little bit of tangentising is good for you, Marco. Have another glass of red

Comment

As it's celebrating its birthday, you're forgiven marco.................Happy Birfday Fred................
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

If it makes you feel better, I was considering using the pipe as well so it was a very handy thread to read. I am going to use the cable tie idea so you can slide the mesh up the pipe for access.

Comment

ITS ALIVE!!!

In which case may I ask what the difference is between blue MDPE amd black MDPE pipes? Just that black is a bit more aesthetically pleasing and goes with anything.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Black is above ground and (I think) UV stabilised, if so it will last longer, but I think it is more expensive. Blue MDPE has very thick walls, so will last a long time before rotting. I've had mine for 4 or 5 years and I can't see that they look any different now to Day One.

If no more expensive then UV-stabilised would be better, I reckon
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by BarleySugar View Post
              if I bought a quantity of the blue water pipe, MDPE Blue Pipe 25mm x 50m | Screwfix.com If I buy from screwfix I have one locally, so no delivery charge and I can cut to any length. It is also cheaper than the ready made hoops, BUT will it last as long, be as stable etc?

Any opinions/advice/experiences would be appreciated.
              Cheaper at Toolstation MDPE Pipe 25mm x 50m | Toolstation

And free delivery with orders over £10

Comment

For smaller cages, I use this. It comes in 2 & 3 mtr lengths.

Tower Conduit Heavy Gauge 20mm x 2m White (40m) Pack of 20 | Plastic Conduit & Acc | Screwfix.com
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

BM - How flexible is the white conduit - I used some once left over from rewiring but used ready made bends.

Comment

Very flexible TH. These are some 3 mt lengths I had over so am using them to support runners in the courgette bed.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks BM I always like photos as it tells the whole story

Comment

Do you think air pressure hose would work or would it be too bendy? It's something I can lay my hands on for nearly free.
                        The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men gang aft agley

Comment

I don't think pressure hose pipe would be rigid enough. Get a length of it & give it a go.

Comment

Would a three meter length be enough to cover a single row of big brassicas? I'm just guessing here, never built a cloche.
                            The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men gang aft agley

Comment

Originally posted by Python15 View Post
                              Would a three meter length be enough to cover a single row of big brassicas? I'm just guessing here, never built a cloche.
                              length of pipe is dependent on width of netting

I know its hoop shaped, but if you assumed it was straight sided then:

2 x the height + 1 x the width

Working back from my scaffolders debris netting which is 3M wide, and my beds which are 4' wide, that (according to Mr Google ) gives me:

(3M - 4 feet) / 2 in feet =

2 feet 11 1/16 inches - I'll call it 3 feet

3 feet is borderline for Brassicas, but will do in the early stages at least - once the leaves touch the netting there is risk that Cabbage White butterflys will lay eggs through the netting

If your beds are narrower than 4' you should be OK, and the Hoop shapes will give you more peak-height in the middle, which may help
                              Last edited by Kristen; 10-02-2015, 03:20 AM.
                              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

If you use pole or canes at the bottom for the first say 2ft then the pipe for hoops

Pi tells us that for each unit of width (diameter) we need about 1.6 time to make a Hoop (1/2 circle)

so roughly 1.5 times the width of your rows so 1m would need 1.5 m (ish)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X