Help measurments please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help measurments please

My OH has some spare wood and has offered to make me a cold frame, can anyone recomend how high it needs to be at the front sides and back please.

Thanks
    Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Hello PottyPotter, glad to hear your getting the cold frames. There's no standard size as people tend to make their own. What you need to do is think about what it is you want to put in there and work out what height you will need. If you feel you want to get exact sizes check out what manufacturers are selling (and look at the prices ! Wow!) You'll be glad they are getting made for you.
    Cold Frames

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks for that Alice, I will show him and see what he comes up with.

Comment

PP - Pigletwillie put a super photo of his cold frame on the Vine last week. Can't seem to find it now! I printed it off and gave it to my OH who is making me one next week! No measurements, but he is making it to fit in the space between the compost bins and the polytunnel (leaving space for the plastic to be replaced).

Good luck
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I would base my measurements on the size of the glass or old window i was using for a lid.
          Same advice for sides - depends on what you want to put inside.
          Old polystyryne (sp?) tiles in the bottom and sides help with insulating.

Comment

Thanks LJ, the size was governed by the window frame that I had knocking about but suprisingly fits 16 standard seed trays with a couple of inches all about spare.

The back is about 27" high and the front 18" high with the sides obviously sloping from the back to meet the front. You dont want it too high at the front or you will not get any light into it causing leggy plants.

Comment

Thanks everyone I hope to grow cucumber and melons in it.

Comment

If you go to: over the fence, top tips, the griefs temporary cold frame, nick has posted a design for a cold frame that he uses - good diagrams and instructions.
                Good luck!
                Bernie aka Dexterdog
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

There are some plans for the one I made on the allotment website under other info I think it is.
                    Last edited by nick the grief; 14-04-2007, 06:57 PM.
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X