Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set up inside greenhouse?

Hi!

Im new - just did a wee intro in the forum!
    Lots of great posts and ive been trawling through the 'undercover operations' group all week!

Im just waiting to put up our new greenhouse! well excited!

Its an 8x4.
    Even after looking at other posts im not sure how we should go about setting it up inside. Mainly - beds inside, or containers? or both of course!

Will be growing toms, cucumbers, going to try aubergines, chilli, peppers, some early potatos. plus seedlings for the 'flowery' side of the garden! Oh, and my grape vine coutesy of Morrisons this year!

I will be doing a DIY watering system - i work 12h shifts so if the weather becomes lovely while im at work i need to have them up to date with their watering otherwise i would likely have a sad face when i got home!

What are the thoughts/experiences of beds vs containers?

Thanks,
    Lynsey.

There are a few post on this already - There are pros and cons for both.
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...der_58279.html
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...lay_56863.html

I think the big thing with growing in the beds within the greenhouse is that you have to change the soil every year but you won't need to water so often, pots often need watering twice a day during the hot spells of summer

Comment

I am growing all the veg you want to grow in your greenhouse and I use the large pot method. My father used to grow in the greenhouse border but after a few years the soil got depleted and he just wasnt getting the best results. Its such hard work digging out all the old soil to replace it. I am much happier growing in pots.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I Know of one well respected Market gardener locally who has been growing lettuce cucumber and tomatoe crops in the greenhouse borders for over 40 years-admitedly up untill 15 years ago the soil was always steam sterilised every 3 years, but not for 15 years now, soil certainly never changed and he experiences nop probl;ems- he puts it down to good hygeine and selection of disease resistant varieties plus a good feeding regime- Bearing in mind his houses are cropped pretty intensivly this seems a pretty impressive record! He also uses minimal chemical treatments, sticking as far as possible to organic methods.
        His crops always make mine look less than perfect LOL
        "... discipline is what the world needs today and etiquette, you know. For one of the noblest things a man can do is to do the best he can, yeah ..."

Prince Far I (1944-1983)

Comment

This is one of those 'you pays your money' questions. I grow exclusively in containers but in the GH I believe both methods have their advantages.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Personally, I use pots in the green house.... well more specifically B&Q buckets It means I can move plant around easily when needed, each plant/blucket gets a consistant amount of water/feed. Also comes the end of the season, it makes it very easy to clear the whole lot outside, clean the inside and move whatever necessary back inside.

Simples

G
            I fear no beer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X