Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you recommend a shed

Hi,

We are looking to get a shed for mainly storage purposes, but possibly to be used as a potting shed later down the line. It will be at our new house.

Can anyone recommend where we do or don't get it from?

It will probably be 8 by 6 foot and wooden. Not to expensive (although I'm not sure how much these are).

Thanks.

Jo

Well I bought the world's most useless shed, so don't get what I've got: a roof made of chipboard that leaks; walls full of knot holes that pop out and leak; a door that doesn't fit and leaks ...

It was about £100 new, which is about what you should expect for a cheapo one
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-09-2011, 12:19 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

As TS says; a cheapo one won't last. My FiL had one from someone called 'The Shed Company' but that was years ago. It was very expensive at the time, and lasted him 10 years - he then gave it to us, and it lasted us about 8 years. Even then it only rotted, as next-door's shed gutter leaked and poured all its water down the back wall of ours, and we didn't notice until it was beyond repair.

Personally, I favour second-hand expensive sheds, bought cheaply on eBay - but that's because I'm tight!
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

There must be a good shed builder/supplier in your area, so get a couple of quotations. If you go for a quality shed, maybe £500 - £800 and it lasts for twenty years, that surely is good value.

I just 'googled' your area and found this link: Shed Scene - Quality Timer Buildings in Cornwall, Avon and Devon

Comment

I've been looking at sheds - ther is a half price sale on the heavy duty sheds at Whitehall garden centre near Lacock - 8x6 is £640 (approx). Offer is on till fri. It's probably a 40 min drive for you? Not sure if that is too far...

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
            I favour second-hand expensive sheds, bought cheaply on eBay
            that's the way to go if you can.

Also have a scout round your neighbourhood. There're people who have sheds & greenhouses in their gardens who (can you believe this?) don't actually want them ! I know ! But can't be bothered to advertise them.

You could leaflet drop if you're brave enough, begging letters: my old neighbour got 2 sheds and 4 ghs this way

Comment

I recently bought a shed from Argos. 8x6ft wooden for £199. Whilst I know it won't last forever, I am very pleased with the quality and surprised it didn't cost more. It seemed to get delivered from a local company rather than Argos themselves. I'm in Oxfordshire and I think they came from Gloucester way, so you may even get the same people covering your area.
              I
              am only using the shed for storage for garden stuff so it doesn't matter if it isn't 100% water tight, but I doubt it will leak if it is properly looked after.
              BW
              James

I like to try, might not get far, but I like to try.

Comment

Buy the biggest you can afford!

We bought an end-of-season shed from a big DIY chain, got a good discount because it was ex-display, then more discount because one of the panels was damaged a bit on delivery. It's got a decent window, which I'd say is quite important if you're going to use it as a potting shed, and if you're brave enough at DIY maybe you could replace some, or all, of the solid roof with corrugated plastic to let even more light in.

However much you spend on a shed, whether it's an 'affordable' one or top of the range, you must make sure the base is good, and that none of the floor timbers or bearers are resting on the ground, otherwise they'll rot long before the rest of the shed starts falling apart. Invest in a long spirit level to make sure the base is level, and be sure to give all 'out of sight' timber a good dose (several coats) of good preservative before you put the shed together, you'll never have another chance.

And make sure the door has the right attachments for a decent padlock.

Comment

Oh, and make sure you raise the shed up a good few inches off the ground, on bricks or something, so you don't get rats tunnelling and nesting underneath it, or put it on paving slabs

Comment

Thank you everyone my OH is chief shed buyer and I have passed on all your info. I've just said that it needs to be painted a pretty colour

Comment

Blue is nice

Comment

Homemade is nice!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Blue is nice
                          Tractor boy??
                          johntheeng

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...