Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polytunnel v Open air

Hi all,

This has been my second summer, if it could be called that, with my polytunnel and I have been running a comparison between plants grown inside against those outside.

Thought I would pass on some of the results.

Brussel Sprouts are from the same sowing. potted on and kept in the poly untill planting out under plastic for about 4 weeks. Planted the remainder in the poly about same time. Best of the those surviving outside is around 1.5 feet tall, where as in the poly they are over 4 feet.

In mid July I was given some cabbages; Hero, Greyhound and January King. Planted some in the poly early August and remainder outside a week or two later. Had to wait untill I had got the onions and garlic havested. The poly cabbages are much further developed, to the extent that the Heros already have a frim head.

To say I am chuffed with my poly would be and under statement. It has eben stood up to the seemingly constant gales, much to my near neighbour amusement.
    Attached Files
    Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch and get dirt under your finger nails.

Hi DD
    Good to have another grower from North of Inverness. I grow in the garden, outside at a nearby farm and in my tunnel (also at the farm) - the tunnel makes a huge difference, esp this far north.
    This year I have grown Summer Cabbage (two sowings), Savoy Cabbage , Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Chilli Peppers, Runner Beans, Aubergines,Onions,Courgettes, Calabrese, Cauliflower and a Giant Marrow. These were all in the tunnel as I am rejigging the outside area this year.
    Of the above I am still cropping bell peppers, savoy cabbage, chilli peppers, tomatoes and runner beans. And the Giant Marrow is still growing.
    The courgettes and cucumber were removed recently due to a huge glut of both - that plus the Giant Marrow smothered the courgette plants. The onions were lifted in July.
    I love my tunnel !
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

yup, polytunnels are brill and I'd rather have one of those than a greenhouse, just because the air stays warmer in them...

Comment

I find the polytunnel a real bonus although I still grow lots outside and find that although some things will grow bigger they aren't necessarily better however I'm further south than you. At the moment it looks a bit of a mess in there as the toms are nearing the end of their season and the spring cabbages are rather small as yet. I also have cabbages outside which will be ready later to extend the season.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X