YAY, but gobsmaked

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAY, but gobsmaked

Yay, i bought a greenhouse off ebay pretty cheap, £80 for a 12x8 for my new allotment

Gobsmaked, it had a few damaged panes and 3 missing from the door.

After dismantling and transporting home i cracked a couple more, then at home a mate dropped a log on the stack of glass and broke a few more.

I started putting it up today and so far we have broke three more !! had a count up and need 17 panes in total at the mo, phoned gibbs and dibbs to see if they were in stock, 5 quid a pane........gobsmaked, shows how many years since i bought any, the last lot were just over a quid each.

Does anyone have any cheaper options ?

Rob.
    Last edited by Rob the Radish; 21-09-2011, 08:31 PM.

Depends on the size of the panes. Screwfix do a replacement horticultural pack.
    10 sheets 1200mm x 610mm x 4mm double polycarbonate.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I put up a 12 x 8 earlier this year and ended up short of over 30 panes. I managed to acquire from various sources including fellow plotters, gumtree and in a roundabout way from freecycle. I say roundabout because someone was advertising for polycarbonate on safety grounds viz a viz little people's safety. I emailed and asked for the glass if they were doing away with it to discover they acquired the frame on Freecycle but didn't take the glass. I then asked to be put in touch with the original frame donor and asked for the glass which she was delighted to be rid of. I maybe was lucky but keep asking. You sometimes have to do alot of tickling to get a laugh.

Comment

Talk to local glazing firms - they take away people's old trash glass, secondary glazing etc. Then do some cutting yourself maybe?!?
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Should have said, if possible cover the roof and then wrap around the whole greenhouse to cover any gaps till you get glass or an alternative. No point in covering the roof with poly because that would just push in with snow but it is essential to keep the wind out hence the suggestion to temporarily wrap the sides.

Comment

Do you use polytunnels AP and if so which do you rate as Mr VVG wants to invest in one?
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I inherited a shed stacked full of old panes of glass. I got rid of it via eBay and Freecycle. You could put a "request" on those sites?
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                Do you use polytunnels AP and if so which do you rate as Mr VVG wants to invest in one?
                replied in PM

Comment

I would ring around your local glazing firms if you can't find any second hand. I paid £3 a pane, cut to size from my local glazier to replace a few that had been broken after my Mother took care of my plants while I was on holiday!

Comment

Thanks for the replies and advice, i have put a wanted ad on freecycle, and scanned through ebay, even looked at cheap greenhouses for sale !

I will sit tight at the mo and hope i manage to find something, i guess i am not in a huge rush to get it glazed yet, although i did want to get some garlic in there.

Regards, Rob.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rob the Radish;894906]I will sit tight at the mo and hope i manage to find something, i guess i am not in a huge rush to get it glazed yet, although i did want to get some garlic in there.QUOTE]

I plant my garlic straight in the ground outside - always have a bumper crop

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X