Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium greenhouse glazing bars

Morning all

In a similar vein to thread below about preventing glass from blowing away. I have two old 8 by 6 aluminium greenhouses that I have tied together 16 by 6. After many years of use I have many cracked panes. I have purchased new glass for the roof at least. Though I may not replace until after winter. My question is that I now see that I do not have rubber glazing strips on some of the bars and some of the original strips that are there are in a pretty poor condition. Looking on-line I see that you can purchase strips that are more like draft excluder. Does anyone have experience of using this stuff or I am better to get rubber?

Thanks for any input

Terryr

I think its pretty much that Terry and absorbs a bit of vibration as well. It would probably be cheaper to get some standard draft excluder or strips of rubber etc. However I used a thin bead of silicon on my own.
    Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Where to Buy?

I have the same problem. Can anyone advise where one can buy the same sort of soft plastic sealing strips as the original? I have Googled with no luck everywhere for the stuff, and my local glazier (who is cutting some replacement panes for me) said "You won't find that stuff"

What I need is simply a tight "U" shaped soft plastic extrusion about 10mm deep (not rubber, and I doubt that Terryr's is either). This fits nicely onto the otherwise sharp aluminium edge against which the glass rests.

I would regard draft excluder strip as a bodge. I found that stuff on one pane of my inherited greenhouse and it had not stayed in place - unsuprising because there is only a sharp edge to "stick" it to. Being spongy it also holds rainwater and thence had grown algae, moss and other unwanted greenery. In places it had become more like a strip of re-inforced dried mud.

Using mastic/silicon means the pane cannot easily be removed in future without breaking such as to clean out the frame or move the greenhouse. My brother-in-law just moved a conservatory that had been mastic-ed and could not save a single piece of glass.

The plasic extrusion is quick, clean and simple to use - perfect - I just don't have enough of it.

Comment

ebay?

Comment

Have you tried contacting any of the greenhouse manufacturers - they may help you out?
          NKP1962
          The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
          Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

try these: -

Peritys (Glass House Makers) Timber greenhouses/glasshouses for sale.

Gabriel Ash - Contact us

Norfolk Greenhouses - Norfolk Greenhouses

NKP
            Last edited by nkp1962; 03-10-2011, 09:51 PM.
            NKP1962

Comment

Silicon will not stick to the glass if a bead is laid down and then left to cure before the glass if fitted. Nowt wrong with bodging if the outcome is ok. I prefer to use the term foodjieing. A good foodgie is sometimes better than the original.

Comment

oh and a pic of what you are looking for might be a help

Comment

If you search for "Greenhouse glazing strips" on Ebay you'll find Eileen who sells sample packs of glazing strips for you to establish which one fits your greenhouse and, when you've decided, will sell you enough to do the job. The samples are £1.10. which covers the p&p.

Comment

Terryr - have you found any yet? Couple more links to try:-

Harrod Horticultural

Cartlett UK - Halls Greenhouse Glazing Gasket - 18M

NKP
                    Last edited by nkp1962; 04-10-2011, 08:58 PM.
                    NKP1962

Comment

You really want bar capping. Over thirty years ago I had an aluminium greenhouse erected in my garden (a very windy, exposed site) and the glass was fitted with bar capping. There it still is and giving sterling service. I looked up "the greenhouse people" as I know they supply greenhouses with this type of glazing, but I couldn't find details of how to obtain replacements. However, this article -
                      Prevent Wind Damage To Your Greenhouse - should point you in the right direction.

Comment

I have a greenhouse gasket on my 6x8 is this what your looking for ? greenhouse gasket - Google Search

Hope this helps
                        Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                        Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                        -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Hi Terryr
                          Do not use glazing silicone, eventually loses adhesion to the aluminium. For a rigid structure that will not flex in the wind and break glass use pre-formed mastic bead.
                          welshleek.

Originally posted by Terryr View Post
                          Morning all

In a similar vein to thread below about preventing glass from blowing away. I have two old 8 by 6 aluminium greenhouses that I have tied together 16 by 6. After many years of use I have many cracked panes. I have purchased new glass for the roof at least. Though I may not replace until after winter. My question is that I now see that I do not have rubber glazing strips on some of the bars and some of the original strips that are there are in a pretty poor condition. Looking on-line I see that you can purchase strips that are more like draft excluder. Does anyone have experience of using this stuff or I am better to get rubber?

Thanks for any input

Terryr
                          Last edited by SarzWix; 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM. Reason: Link removal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X