Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning my greenhouse?

Hello all,

I've got a little 6'x6' Norfolk Greenhouse. Stop laughing.

Last year I rammed 9 tomato plants in it, and didn't open the doors enough. The tomatoes got botrytis, which spoiled a significant proportion of my crop.

The greenhouse is pretty full with young plants at the moment, but nothing I can't move. Before things get staked & tied, do I need to clean the greenhouse? I have tidied it up and swept it out, but nothing more.

If I need to, what should I use please?

Many thanks,
    MBE
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Do no harm to give the whole inside of the greenhouse a dowsing in a solution of ***** fluid. That should sort out anything lurking about.

Comment

Thanks. I'll have to get cracking then.
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'm thinking about trying some of this stuff: Sunclear & Varishade to see if it reduces condensation drips, because that's bad in my Norfolk, and definitely contributes to the botrytis problem...

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
          I'm thinking about trying some of this stuff: Sunclear & Varishade to see if it reduces condensation drips, because that's bad in my Norfolk, and definitely contributes to the botrytis problem...
          Thanks Sarz. This looks quite interesting. I have problems because my greenhouse is so low, it's impossible to stop the tomatoes hitting the roof. 4' high at the eaves is not much! (I swear the people in the Norfolk Greenhouse pictures are dwarves!)

I'm starting to think about either a replacement greenhouse, or a course of blocks underneath mine to lift it about 8". I know which I'd prefer, but cash is a bit tight this year.

I know much of my problems last year stemmed from lack of ventilation. I didn't have the greenhouse doors open wide enough, often enough. Not a mistake I intend to make this year.

My main concern was if the botrytis spores are likely to be lurking in my greenhouse, waiting for a bit of green to turn up?
          Last edited by mrbadexample; 22-05-2011, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I think they hang around on dead plant material, but I always give mine a scrub just to be on the safe side...
            But even scrubbed, I still get it every year, and condensation is definitely not helpful. I have the 12ft one, and even with the window open at one end and the door at the other, ventilation isn't spectacularly good
            Last edited by SarzWix; 22-05-2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

I had exactly the same problem last year. At the start of the season I sprayed the inside of the GH with ***** and then washed it down with ***** and a car sponge. It didnt take long. I also washed everything that went in the GH, such as plant pots pruning shears etc.
              I then burnt a sulphur candle to make sure I had covered every nook and cranny.

This may have been over the top but I didnt want the same problem this year.
              I am only growing 6 toms in mine this year.

Comment

I have always found sulphur candles best, but dont forget to empty the house first! Make sure all the vents are closed and autovents slackened right off. I always soak the interior completely, stand the candle in the middle of the floor, light and retire. Leave it for at least 24 hours before opening up again.

Comment

Is it best to give it a ***** rinse now or in the Spring time?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X