Parafin horror!!!! Help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    B&Q are selling it @ £6.98 for 4 lts if it helps.

Bartoline Premium Paraffin 4 Litres, 15135245
    Cheers matey. Even at £7 it is expensive and there is no fuel duty on it as such. Dobbies clearly profiteering.

Comment

First Tunnels have a video of their PPP (mini-polytunnel) which could go in the greenhouse as a cover, and they suggest heating overnight with 2 nightlights!
      IKEA sell these pretty cheap <grin>
      good luck!
      S

Comment

Originally posted by salilah View Post
        First Tunnels have a video of their PPP (mini-polytunnel) which could go in the greenhouse as a cover, and they suggest heating overnight with 2 nightlights!
        IKEA sell these pretty cheap <grin>
        good luck!
        S
        Naked flame big downside for me. At least with paraffin heaters, flame is enclosed,

Comment

If the nightlights are placed in an empty can (or jam jar as in the video) the flame is safely confined.

Comment

I tried the tealight under a plant pot method a while back only to find that the candle burnt out after only a few hours.

What does work better and is more cost effective are these...

Aromaglow - Trade

A couple of these situated at regular intervals around your GH with plant pots over the top in combination with some insulation will help fend off the frost.

Comment

My two new paraffin heaters arrived today, picking up the paraffin tomorrow and then can get the greehouse properly heated - and can still use the greenhouse within a greenhouse. Things moving on for sure.
              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I have a twin burner parafin heater but it does not use any where near that amount of fuel. I always go back 20 minutes after I have lit it to allow it to warm up and adjust the flames downwards.

Bad signs are yellow flame and any kind of soot residue.

During the cold spell early last year I made a bench out of two saw horse's and some planking, put the heater underneath with my seedlings on top and managed with only one burner lit.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I've just had a twin burner paraffin heater overturn (unlit) in my tunnel in my absence. The top soil stinks. My own stupid fault I know but if I water the area to dilute it, will it affect plant growth in the Spring?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Bluestar View Post
                    I've just had a twin burner paraffin heater overturn (unlit) in my tunnel in my absence. The top soil stinks. My own stupid fault I know but if I water the area to dilute it, will it affect plant growth in the Spring?
                    You will only spread the paraffin oil further. Dig out the affected area and replace with fresh soil.

Comment

Thanks for that, that's my job for tomorrow.

Comment

sweetcorn

I totally bubble wrapped a glass 6x8" some time ago (specifically to overwinter a big batch of Echiums grown from Canary Island seeds) by draping the wrap over wires running lengthways attached through holes drilled in the end walls - at the peak and on top of both side walls. A twin burner Parasene GH heater kept it frost free overnight when it was -7C outside......bought the bubblewrap on Ebay .
                        It cost a fortune to heat @ £4/gall.....it's now £5/gall (loose) at my local hardware shop on Streatham High Street.
                        Last edited by richardbees; 18-02-2011, 08:42 PM. Reason: incoherency!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X