Is it time to close the doors?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to close the doors?

It's getting flipping cold these nights, I have started closing the greenhouse doors, is anyone else doing the same? Ground frosts are being mentioned.....
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

My gh door has been shut daytimes too for at least a fortnight
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've been closing mine the last few days just at night time, the min temps been 9c.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I close mine too. Can't really see the point as there is nothing it.

Comment

Greenhouse temp was 7.5c last night so I'm glad I'd got the door closed.
          Last edited by Bren In Pots; 17-09-2010, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Closed here too. According to the max/min it was down to 4c in the garden last night and 6.5c in the greenhouse. Still its lovely and sunny here now

Comment

yep mine have been shut for last 3 weeks to cold on a night

Comment

Oh yes, every night and some days too.

Comment

Yes, we close the doors at night all year round, unless it's exceptionally hot (trying to remember when the last time that happened was). The last couple of weeks they've been closed during the day sometimes too

Comment

Yes, for the past couple of weeks. Good job too - down to 5 point summat last night! My heating in the house will be going on soon too!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Greenhouse door is shut every night but have gone half and half in the polytunnel at the lottie ie am keeping one door shut and one open at the moment but that could all change if it gets any colder.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post
                        Nothing?

My neighbour dries her laundry in hers, and I've started sneaking into mine with a cuppa to warm myself up

Comment

Originally posted by Brengirl View Post

I'm clearing mine out so the final toms can get more air and sowing onion sets, broad beans, peas, winter salads in it ready to go out in October....and trying to get rid of all the spiders and bugs......before winter sets in

Doors not closed yet.....

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                            I'm ....sowing onion sets, broad beans, peas, winter salads in it ready to go out in October
                            Mine's still full too:
                            tomatoes & cucumbers still coming, but slower
                            chillies ripening, slowly
                            trays & trays of wallflowers and foxgloves for me and the school garden
                            black kale seedlings that are STILL only 4" tall (come on you guys)
                            houseplants
                            overwintering cuttings: fuchsia, pelargonium, osteos, herbs
                            stuff drying from the rafters: garlic, onions, herbs, beans
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 19-09-2010, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I've got tomatoes, chilies, sweet peppers, 2 cucs and a couple of trays of winter lettuce seedlings that will go in the border once the toms have finished.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X