Heat and light

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat and light

My wonderful OH has bought me a 6' x 8' greenhouse from Focus and we hope to be putting it up before too much longer.

I know there are loads of threads covering greenhouses and I have read many of them without actually reaching a conclusion.

Would you more experienced grapes recommend lighting and heating this size of greenhouse and if I do that, can I grow limited crops year round? Thinking here of spuds, salad stuff and other things in pots. I had dwarf beans growing outdoors for much of the early winter but the weather put paid to those in the end.

Trying to work out what method of heating is best for the size of house paraffin or electric (also OH says central heating oil is paraffin - is he right?) And for lighting - do you need a special type of bulb or can you just rig a few 'daylight' bulbs to be switched on and prolong daytime?

Sorry to be so long-winded but I really need to get this clear in my head so I know what to plan. Thanks all.
    Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 28-02-2007, 01:52 PM. Reason: stop him moaning about who bought the ruddy thing!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Hello Shirlthegirl, yes, I see you want what we would all love to have and don't because of the problems and cost.
    No expert here, but just some of my own thoughts and experience. You could heat and light your greenhouse and grow things in there all year, but I doubt if the results would justify the cost. Lighting is quite a complex business to get good results and good units are very expensive. Here's a link to a site which will give you technical information about lighting and let you see the prices of the units.
    Greenhouse lighting
    It would also be very expensive to heat your greenhouse all winter. There's been quite a lot on the forum recently about Parafin heaters. Some people are happy with them and some are not. I had one which I hated. I didn't find it satisfactory in any way. But yes, it is a big advantage if you can put some heat in the greenhouse.I now have an electric fan heater which I find just the job. I only use it for a few weeks a year. I start my seeds indoors and put them in the greenhouse once they have reached the size where it's no longer viable to have all that stuff in the house. Or for things I've got outside in May, but the threat of a frosty night. I think the cost is reasonable but I don't know how much. Piglet worked out what it cost him to heat his greenhouse to 10 degrees for about 8 weeks. I think it was about £85 but you might be able to find that thread, or ask him. And he does grow a lot of stuff. I'm sure some of our more expert greenhouse growers will be along with more detailed info.
    Keep us posted on what you decide to go for.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice. I realise that I wasn't as clear in my question as I thought. Where I live, we don't get much frosty weather - this year we have had only 3 nights where there has been frost and I suspect (from temperature in my shed) that I wouldn't need to heat the 'house often. I am thinking more of keeping it frost-free to keep chili plants and spuds from dying off over winter. Any other things such as salads would be a bonus. The way things are going, I won't get the greenhouse up before OH decides we need to move for his job anyway but thought it was better to plan for paraffin storage and electric points before I built the darned thing. My spuds in pots were quite happy beside the house until night before last when we had the first true hard frost - and sod's law, I have been poorly and wasn't able to put them anywhere more protected! (yes I know I shouldn't have spuds growing just now but they were supposed to be for crimbo but took ages to come through!) On the lighting front, I suppose it is more high tech than just a daylight simulation bulb then! Thought there must be more to it - but when you drive through Holland you see all the greenhouses lit up and I thought it was just light (simple person that I am)
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
        I have bought a 6' x 8' greenhouse from Focus and hope to be putting it up before too much longer.

I know there are loads of threads covering greenhouses and I have read many of them without actually reaching a conclusion.

Would you more experienced grapes recommend lighting and heating this size of greenhouse and if I do that, can I grow limited crops year round? Thinking here of spuds, salad stuff and other things in pots. I had dwarf beans growing outdoors for much of the early winter but the weather put paid to those in the end.

Trying to work out what method of heating is best for the size of house paraffin or electric (also OH says central heating oil is paraffin - is he right?) And for lighting - do you need a special type of bulb or can you just rig a few 'daylight' bulbs to be switched on and prolong daytime?

Sorry to be so long-winded but I really need to get this clear in my head so I know what to plan. Thanks all.
        I think central heating oil is gas oil (red diesel) but I may be wrong??
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks Snadger, I thought that too but OH was adamant. Not that it makes a great deal of difference - we have gas heating

Hmm... wonder if I can put a little radiator out there?
          Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 09-02-2007, 06:25 PM.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

SNADGER
            Pretty sure you are right

Comment

At work if the workshop heating tank runs out we get the bowser to fill it up with red diesel, 8,000 litres at a time.

Comment

I am a bit reluctant to use a heating oil heater. I am not happy about the soot they can put out when the fuel is burned. Anyway, red diesel, paraffin, avgas it all tastes horrible and drys ones throat up. Nice aroma though.

So I will be running in a 240v power feed to the greenhouse from our shed for a thermostatically controlled anti-frost heater and lighting. Has anyone ever put plumbing into a greenhouse? It would save all the traipsing back and forth to a tap...

Hmmm, who bought the greenhouse!?!?
                Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
                Cut your engines, cool your wings,
                You've taken me home...

Comment

Hi

My other half bought me a small paraffin heater along with the gren house but I haven't used it yet. This is because I left a stand alone thermometer in there to check the temp. The daytime temp has always been around 10 C / 50 F which (from books) seems adequate this time of year.
                  If this temp is wrong please someone put me right.
                  I have had mint, salad leaves and carrots in there for around 10 days and the salad leaves are showing now.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post

Hmmm, who bought the greenhouse!?!?
                    Read the first post again dear
                    Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 28-02-2007, 01:53 PM.
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by supersam View Post
                      Hi

My other half bought me a small paraffin heater along with the gren house but I haven't used it yet. This is because I left a stand alone thermometer in there to check the temp. The daytime temp has always been around 10 C / 50 F which (from books) seems adequate this time of year.
                      If this temp is wrong please someone put me right.
                      I have had mint, salad leaves and carrots in there for around 10 days and the salad leaves are showing now.

Sam
                      What are the night time temperatures like though?

It looks as though heating won't be an issue for mine until next winter - greenhouse still in the packaging! Thankfully too - darned windy here today!!
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

10 degrees during the day is fine for your greenhouse at this time of year Supersam. Anything above about 6 degrees is a growing temperature.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                          Read the first post again dear
                          You must have magically changed it. One post read "I bought a greenhouse". As in you..!!

Is it worthwile putting foam sealing strips between the panes and the ally frame to help with draught excusion. The same stuff we put around doors? Silicone is no good as it bonds. If I am heating the g/h I would like to think the heat will stay in it!
                          Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
                          Cut your engines, cool your wings,
                          You've taken me home...

Comment

I think there is rubber stuff in the packaging which goes between glass and frame.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Sam, why don't you get one of those max/min. thermometers which you can leave in the greenhouse & it will tell you what the overnight temp. is as well. I got one a couple of years ago & it cost about £10 but you might be able to get hold of one cheaper.
                              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X