Does this sound like a good deal?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound like a good deal?

I've been offered a 1 year old greenhouse (practically never used) for £500, its green powdercoated, 6' x 10' with 3 automatic opening roof vents, 2 louvres, aluminium staging down one side, hanging electric heater (bought for £300). This is it apparently: http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/Gr...+Hercules.html (sorry for the long link!)

I've never heard of the make before - it looks like a copy of a Baby Rhino, and is a similar price (new) does anyone know if this sounds like a good deal or not? we would have to take it down and remove it (and there are no instructions apparently!) Its through a friend of my Mums, so negotiating on price is a little tricky!

Many thanks, Protea
    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
    Happy Gardening!

Looks very nice. I got a 6 x 8 from Focus for 130 (sorry no pound sign on my keyboard) I can buy auto opening roof and louvre vents for around 20 each, not decided if I need a heater yet and also posible to buy other add on's if I find I need them later on. It is an extra 70 for a base but Focus say this is a large piece of plywood so I didn't bother with it.

All depends what you want and what you can afford - personally, I think I would shop around first to see what else you could get for the money.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Oh i know i could get it cheaper, in fact i already have a 6x6, the chap who's selling it needs to get rid of it fast (he's moving house and the new owner's don't want it, he completes in 2 weeks i think) and my Mum mentioned that i might like another one. My Mum has offered to buy it for us so ultimately its up to her, but i don't want her getting a bad deal, but equally i don't want to cause a conflict with her friend!

Aarrgghh!!
      Happy Gardening!

Comment

I understand your dilemma then. Good luck with making the decision.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

it's a tricky one Protea. I paid about £500 for my 12 x 8 but that is mill finish (plain ali ) so if it;s powder coated that will put the price up. As you say you're getting the staging louvres,& heater as well - Must be a good one for £300, there are loads of good ones for less than half of that.
          1. Do you want/need it?
          2. If you had the money would you pay £500 for it?

If the answer to the above is Yes & Yes well there's your answer. Try making them wait for an answer and see if the price drops a bit
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Sounds a bit as if you're being taken advantage of. Yes, it's a lovely greenhouse with extras, but what is he going to do with it if you don't buy it? Go for a reduction in price, after all he needs to get rid of it more than you need to buy it!

Comment

Looks lovely, but it is now second hand, would need to be dismantled and moved, and is it something that you want or need / would spend that money on if it wasn't something you were being offered by your Mum's friend?

If you can answer yes to the questions, then it doesnt matter whether we think it a good deal or not, as you would be happy with it!

Have to say we managed to get a 10' by 8' greenhouse for free from Friday Ads (similar to freecycle), which we moved and re-errected, only cost us a bit for some clips and bolts, plus some glass, so if it were us I'm afraid we'd not be spending the money! (Couldnt afford it anyhows! lol!)
              Blessings
              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I bought an 8 x 10 Hercules at the end of last year and I absolutely love it, love it, love it. When I had the Belbin tests done (sorts out work personality types) I came out in equal measures as a team player and a "resourse investigator" - in other words I get to find out about things. And its true. I cannot buy anything or do anything without doing my research first and I spent bloomin ages going through the catalogues working out which was the best deal. (It took me 6 months before accepting my husband's proposal and he really was the best deal!!!). I looked at the Rhino and nearly went for that except I don't live in a hurricane zone so it was a bit over the top really...and more expensive. I looked at everything but I wanted green (I'm a libran so everything has to look pretty - sorry guys) and I wanted automatic vents and a couple of louvres and a double door. When I totted it all up, it was cheaper and less hassle to go for the Hercules. It wasn't cheap though and I daren't say here what I paid for it (but I'm not into designer gear, flash cars etc so what the hell). You will be able to see on the greenhouse people's website what they are worth. All I can say is I think it was worth every single penny so if you can get a ggod deal - go for it. I'm fairly sure the instructions for erection are on the website but they are a great lot and I'm sure they would send you a set of instructions if you asked nicely.
                Good luck
                Jools

Comment

Looks expensive to me Protea for a second hand greenhouse you would have to dismantle and re-erect. If your Mum doesn't want to offend her friend she only has to say you don't want it- no space, or whatever. But if that is the way you go you do need to let her know ASAP so that she can make other aarangements.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies - Jools its funny, i did the Belbin test the other week and i came out as a completer-finisher (perfectionist, moi? no never.... )

To be honest i wouldn't have thought about it if my Mum hadn't mentioned it, we don't have the space so i'm going to have to ask the farmer to rent me a square of his field big enough for it (we back on to farmland), or store it at work (a farm) and risk it getting damaged. I'd love to put it on my lottie but we're not allowed glass

Hmmmmm..... not sure what to do. I'll have a think about it over the weekend, but yes, if i don't want it then what IS he going to do? ebay i suppose and he'll probably get his money - there is a similar sized baby Rhino going for £750 ish with all the bits.

I would soooooo love another greehouse too
                    Happy Gardening!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X