Greenhouse novice needs help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse novice needs help!

New greenhouse is finished (whoopee ), so now I need some advice, as am not entirely sure how to proceed!

When will it be safe to put my windowsill raised tomatoes and chillies into it? do I need to wait a bit longer in case it gets frosty again?
    Should I close the louvre window at night?
    The vents are on auto openers - at roughly what temperature should I get them to open at? I'll be growing toms, chillis, aubergines and cape gooseberries.
    What seeds can be started off in the GH now? I've sown some french beans in pots already, would marigolds be ok? brassicas? anything else? (I'm mostly doing veg).

Thank you!

My chillies/toms/aubs, dwarf french beans... are in my unheated g/h atm, with the door open - its over 30C in there! But at night even fleeced its still too cold for them so in the house they all come!

Don't know on temps & I'd have said shut louvre at night whilst its cold...
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 13-04-2010, 01:34 PM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

My toms/chillies as well as beans of 7 different varieties, lettuce, onions leeks and brassicas are all in my unheated greenhouse full time now. Although it does get a little chilly at night they don't seem to mind and are showing no signs of distress. I did keep a few in the house as a back up but all seems well so they will soon be joining their friends.
      I would recommend you try with a few plants and see how they do.
      I do open the door if it gets too warm in the day but close it quite early to retain as much heat as possible.

Comment

My toms, sweet peppers, aubergines and chilli plants spend the day in the greenhouse then at night they come back into the kitchen. It was 2.9°c last night in the greenhouse so it looks like I'll be doing this for a bit longer.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks for the replies I think I'd better invest in one of those max/min thermometers so I can gauge better when things may be OK out there full time!

Comment

Nes
            i`ve had my toms and peppers in my unheated greenhouse for 3 weeks 24/7 and all seems ok...
            My theroy is just try and see what happens
            sean

Comment

I've had a few pots of chilis germinate in my unheated greenhouse here in the midlands.

Greenhouses are cool! And Hot!

Comment

I run a paraffin heater most nights still and expect to do so until May. We have nights of 1 C at this time of year, occasional frosts and some years occasional snow in early May ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X