Greenhouse base?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jools,

Getting started next weekend hopefully, the ground has been frozen solid.

I have tracked down the peg things and they should do the trick.

Sorry to hear your family are unwell, hope they get better soon and that you don't catch it too

Thanks for your help, Mandy

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda1 View Post
      I did exactly as Mandy intends to do and I've had no problems, I think the base must be on a little bit of a slope (not noticeable) because water does drain away. its not bolted down although I intend to do this a some point
      Please bolt it down. You'd be surprised how far a seemingly solid greenhouse can move when the wind really gets up as it did here middle of January. I have a plastic glazed house, which lost panes but as they're flexible I managed to re-fit them. The whole house moved about 2 feet towards the wall though. I was advertising greenhouse glass on Freecycle at the time, and a lovely couple came and collected all I had in the lottie shed, as their glasshouse had lifted into the air and come down again with a thump, shattering most of their panes.

Comment

Yes, I have to agree with you Rustylady. the guy who put up my greenhouse told me that he knew of some commercial greenhouses which were put up - really huge things. They weren't bolted down and a storm took them into the air and then crashing down again. The only thing they could do was bulldozer the site and start again!!!
        Jools

Comment

Has anyone ever bolted the greenhouse to 4" breezeblocks? I am thinking of concreteing these into trenches in the ground and bolting the g/h to them. A slab walkway would go down the middle and the soil at the sides would allow for drainage.

What is this 4"x2" tanalised stuff Nick? Treated wood?
          Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
          Cut your engines, cool your wings,
          You've taken me home...

Comment

My greenhouse is screwed onto some 4" x4" timbers I had acquired, which in turn are attached to 4" concrete blocks with hammer fixings. I dug the floor out and filled it to a depth of 6" with 20mm washed gravel - had easy access to the stuff at the time. The soil I dug out was beautiful and black and went to help create my raised beds
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks SW. Good point about the gravel. We have 1/2 ton of the stuff in a Jewsons bag on the back patio. Been there for the last 3 years. I think the cat has been using it though...
              Let's go diggin' dirt....

Big silver bird, come land low and slow
              Cut your engines, cool your wings,
              You've taken me home...

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
                Thanks SW. Good point about the gravel. We have 1/2 ton of the stuff in a Jewsons bag on the back patio. Been there for the last 3 years. I think the cat has been using it though...
                No he hasn't, but I have (not like that) - it goes in the bottom of every bucket of spuds/beans/whatever. Haven't found any cat stuff yet but did find a toad one day!
                Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 27-02-2007, 06:05 PM. Reason: trying to make sense!
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X