Advice Needed Please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed Please

I have just bought a farm complete with poly tunnel and greenhouse and i am a bit overwhelmed by what to grow in them. So far i have sown tomatoes (various varieties) Cucumber and peppers they are in the house as the greenhouse is unheated but pepper have yet to show. Any ideas of what else i can put in the poly tunnel? I have grown my own veg before but never had the luxury of having either a greenhouse or poly tunnel. Should i put fertiliser on the soil in the poly tunnel (I intend to replace the top 3rd of soil anyway and add well rotted manure)
    Any help is much appreciated

Just a couple of questions before we can advise.
    What do you want to grow and what for? If you are looking for commercial growing, well, that may be a different forum.
    For domestic purposes - what do you want to eat this summer?
    If I had a polytunnel I would grow the toms, peppers and cues you have already started - but I would also go for melons and aubergines as these are difficult to grow in the open.
    And during the winter months I'd go for the salads and a few special earlies.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

You can get an early start with things that can cope with a bit of cold, such as some salads, early peas, carrots in deepish pots/tubs. Also early potatoes, either in the ground or in tubs to move outside. Basically, you can do things in the polytunnel 2-4 weeks sooner than you would do it outside, and it will tend to grow faster because it's sheltered from the wind etc.

GYO and other magazines often have an 'Undercover' section which tell you what you can grow in your tunnel each month and would definitely be worth a read. I'm not sure,but I think the Smallholding type mags have the same feature and might be helpful if you're growing on a grand scale.
      Last edited by SarzWix; 04-04-2010, 09:07 AM.

Comment

do you need a book for inspiration?

This must be good, look at the price of it!

This one is more reasonable, but still highly recommended
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I managed to get a copy of gardening under plastic, by Bernard Salt from First Tunnels for just over £15 including postage a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Welcome to the grapevine - you lucky beggar! All that space! I use a cold greenhouse, and have no experience with a tunnel, but I find the greehouse allows me to grow salads and brassicas in winter with a bit of extra protection. Good luck with it!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

thank you for your replies, no i don't want to commercially grow anything it's all just for my family to eat. I have put in early salad potatoes today and my daughter has been helping to sow runner beans and french beans. i am hoping to plant some spring onions, beetroot, lettuce and carrots over the next few weeks but i am waiting for my husband to get his skates on with bringing me some well rotted manure from another farm he works on. But he had been busy today by scrapping over the outdoor veg beds with a digger so i can get some veg growing outdoors to

Comment

The peppers have not shown yet as they take a bit longer than toms to show themselves same with chillis. The only pepper im growing this year is redskin as its a good outdoor cropper, ive grown for a few years now with good results.

Comment

Thank you for your advice hermit, i will be more patient and wait for my peppers to show - finger crossed

Comment

Peppers are just poking through !!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X