X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips needed for growing in pots

Hi Everyone
    My next stupid question i'm afraid.

My greenhouse is on a slab base, so I intend growing my Toms, courgettes, cucumbers etc. in pots.
    The nice man in Asda gave me 20 flower buckets, and I have been collecting larger buckets from the local Indian / Chinese restaurants. I was going to cut these larger buckets so they are only about 6" deep, then put the flower buckets ( drilled with holes around the bottom ) into them. I would then be able to water directly into the lower outer bucket.

Will this be OK - My dad grows his toms like this outside every year and it seems to work.

Yes that would work, but I'd water onto the compost so that the roots get a good soaking rather than relying on capillary action. This way the roots won't be hunting for the water at the bottom of the pot. There's also the danger of overwatering them so try not to have them standing in water for too long (especially aubergines). This will be tricky given that they will use different amounts of water depending on whether it is sunny or not. The important thing to do is to feed them once a week when they are in flower.

Courgettes are best grown outside, they take up a lot of room.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Even though I have borders in my greenhouse I still crop into growbags, I use the ring culture system - a hole cut in the bottom of a pot by any other name
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Another way to use grow bags is to fold in the middle lengthwise and then cut in two. Not the prettiest of pots but nice and deep
        Elsie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X