Cold/Heated Greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold/Heated Greenhouse

I have an 8x6 greenhouse and I'm trying to find out the definitions of a cold/heated one.

Does a heated greenhouse mean that its heated overnight when the temps plummet only...or is it 24/7 and during the daytime a window opener stops it getting too hot?

I'm using a parrafin heater as its not possible to get electricity to the greenhouse.
    Last edited by Photo; 07-03-2010, 10:46 AM.
    -Photo-

My Allotment Blog Last updated 05/05/10

It's usually defined as maintaining a particular temperature (e.g. 10 degrees). This is generally done by thermostat or by heating overnight and assuming the daytime temperature is enough. I think (though this is only a personal view) that it's hugely wasteful to have heating on and vents open to keep the temperature down. I don't heat mine and at the moment and it's really warm in there in the day. I just bring the plants indoors at night.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I want to experiment with earlier cropping in the greenhouse. 2 days ago unheated daytime temp was 20 degrees, heated yesterday was 29, heated last night was 18. I'm awaiting arrival of a mini weather station to monitor temps more efficiently, both garden and g/house.

I'm just guessing then that during very cold spells where daytime temps drop to around freezing point is the time to heat in the daytime and when nightime garden temps maintain 10 degrees or more is the time to stop heating?
      -Photo-

My Allotment Blog Last updated 05/05/10

Comment

I have an electric heater Photo that's set at 7 degrees C, therefore it comes on when the temp goes below that.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Photo View Post
          I'm just guessing then that during very cold spells where daytime temps drop to around freezing point is the time to heat
          It depends what you're trying to grow. If it's hardy stuff, no heat is needed, but if you want to put chillies & tomatoes in there in Feb, they will need constant heat (about 18C)
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Photo, even if you have the proper temperature in the greenhouse a lot will also depend on the light levels.
            You might have your greenhouse heated to 10 degs but on a grey day you won't get much growth if there is no sunshine and blue skies.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X