Ordinary polythene or special stuff?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordinary polythene or special stuff?

So I now have two raised beds with hoops and netting over them (see this thread) and now it's getting colder I can put some polythene over there and have them as mini-polytunnels for the winter. Hurrah to that.

However, I already have some ordinary polythene that i got from the garden centre a couple of years ago. It'd fit nicely, but I also have the option of spending some hard-earned on that special polytunnel stuff. I know the special doesn't break down from the uv, but does it also let more light through or anything clever like that?

What do the panel think? Should I use what I've got or buy some more?

Cheers,
    Ian.

Short term I would probably go with what you've got and see how it goes, you can always splash out at a later date on the polytunnel stuff!

For ourselves its a case of doing it as cheaply as possible, not just cos we are skint, but its the principle of the thing! lol!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I agree with Mrs D,

Seeing as you've got it you may as well use it but it wont last as long as the proper stuff would so when it comes to replacing buy it then.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post

For ourselves its a case of doing it as cheaply as possible, not just cos we are skint, but its the principle of the thing! lol!

Well said Mrs D....thats the code I garden by as well! Makes it more of a challenge!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have to say that re-using the old stuff appeals on at least two levels:

1. Reuse is the green choice
          2. I'm a penny-pinching old b******d

Cheers,
          Ian.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X