No announcement yet.

Chilli Seed's Not Germinating

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So do sweet pepper seed take as long as chilli? My chilli seedlings are up and running but not one sweet pepper so far (after 4 weeks).
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

My sweet pepper seeds took at least 3 weeks to get going (as did my Chillis). They were on a sunny windowsill with clear poly bags over the top of the pots. Wait a bit longer, the temp has maybe just not gotten high enough yet!
      If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

Put them in the airing cupboard in a small propergator, they will germinate then, I am new to this too, but I've grown them for 2 years using this method, good luck

Paula

Comment

Can't emphasise enough the warm temp for germinaton. If you don't have a heated propagator then a normal one in the airing cupboard / on top of the boiler will do. However if in the airing cupboard then do check them morning and night - as soon as they germinate get them out into the light otherwise they can become thin and straggerly!.....
          AKA - BigMatt over at Chillis Galore......

Comment

As above, I start mine in a heated propagator, they're all doing fine

Comment

Mine(B&Q Jalapenos)took about 2 weeks to germinate.Another 2 weeks with just seed leaves on before they finally started to grow.
              This is my 1st year with chillies.
              Not all the seeds germinated at the same time.Some germinated about 2 weeks later but they nicely catch up with the rest.

Comment

patience i guess is the things with chillies of any kind! i've a few solid seedlings....so am delighted to have them! i didn't have a good time with chillies last year....so anything is a bonus
                "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

I was worried re the temparature for chillies as my house is a timber framed draught palace !

We dont leave the heating on at night and at this time of year we try not to have it on at all.

The temperature in my kitchen is nowhere near 18 at night but my chilli and pepper seeds have germinated no problem at all on window sills in un heated plastic topped propagators.

All of the seeds have come up a treat so far but im waiting on my second lot of tomato seeds. The 1st were a beafeater type and are now in the plastic greenhouse growing away with some baby lettuce and some squash seedlings.

Cheers Mas
                  '3000 volts says the ducks
                  are mine foxey !'

Comment

I put my heating off as soon as the clocks change...if not sooner! I have very wide south facing window sills, which I guess helps me with germination! I checked today, and some chillies that I kinda forgot about upstairs are doing fine! I check my seedlings several times a day (not the ones upstairs clearly)....like watching a pot boil really!
                    Last edited by deezyb; 11-04-2009, 07:04 PM. Reason: addition to comment
                    "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

My central heating thermostat has been set to 17C since we got over the cold snap in February, so it's rarely on at the moment - hence I splashed out on a thermostatically controlled propagator for the conservatory. Much cheaper in the long run than heating the whole house for the sake of a few seeds!

Comment

Hi all,
                        I read the above notes and put my seeds into a pot and wrapped it with cling and left it in the boiler cupboard. My central heating is off but water heating runs 1 hour daily so the cupboard is warmer than the house and all the seeds germinated in a week. Now they are by a bright (not sunny) patio door and are around 2 cms long and have 2 leaves each. Can I move these to the unheated plastic covered greenhouse I have, or is it too early. Do they still need warm temp at night?
                        cheers Reks

Comment

Outside or in an unheated greenhouse during the day is great as long as they don't get too hot.

At night they do best with a minimum temperature of about 15 degC so indoors would be better.
                          The proof of the growing is in the eating.
                          Leave Rotten Fruit.
                          Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
                          Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
                          Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Thank u teaskdesk!
                            cheers Reks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X