No announcement yet.

Retaining heat in cold greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got one of those 4-tier growhouses, so its not on the same scale, but I keep it warm during the cool spring nights by placing a large tray on the bottom shelf (choose one without holes!) and filling it with a couple of pints of hot water from the kettle before I go to bed. It keeps the place comfortably warm overnight (tomato sauna anyone? ) and in the morning I use the teipd (and somewhat de-chlorinated) water to water the plants.

Repeat any night it looks chilly.

I dont think its too expensive from an electricity point of view - I drink more tea than they do anyway!

Woof
    Having one child makes you a parent, having two makes you a referee...

Comment

Originally posted by mendacious dog View Post
      I've got one of those 4-tier growhouses, so its not on the same scale, but I keep it warm during the cool spring nights by placing a large tray on the bottom shelf (choose one without holes!) and filling it with a couple of pints of hot water from the kettle before I go to bed. It keeps the place comfortably warm overnight (tomato sauna anyone? ) and in the morning I use the teipd (and somewhat de-chlorinated) water to water the plants.

Repeat any night it looks chilly.

I dont think its too expensive from an electricity point of view - I drink more tea than they do anyway!

Woof
      Medacious dog, when you say a tray, do you mean you fill it with water and there's no cover?

This seems to me like a good and simple way to heat a small growhouse - I cover the chilli plants with fleece at night and they're looking good but don't seem to be making any progress. They are at the same height and stage as when they were moved out to the growhouse about 3 weeks ago. One pot has seed leaves only, two others have seed leaves and tiny attempts at starting off another leaf, so I feel I'm maintaining them but that maybe they need a boost to help them along.

I think I'll try out your good idea to maybe bring a little more heat into it.
      Last edited by maytreefrannie; 06-05-2009, 11:07 AM.
      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I just use good old fashioned plastic tray covers at night. Anything potentially sensitive gets planted in modules, which I can cover at a moments notice with a plastic (propagator?) tray.

Perhaps you could consider sowing a couple of weeks later?
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X