Homemade plastic bottle top cloches!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade plastic bottle top cloches!

Hello, I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm not teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs....

I just thought I would share with you a little trick I have, which many of my friends have copied.

As I grow everything in pots, initially on windowsills, I need plenty of closhes. As I'm totally and utterly skint, I make my own. I ask everyone I know to save their 2 litre plastic bottles (the type you get coke etc in) and I cut them in half. Punch holes in the half with no hole and you have perfect homemade cloches.

I always put them over my lettuces (take them off on hot days obviously) and they keep the slugs off!!

Hope this is of help to someone,

Cxx
    Charlie x
    "Erm, if you havn't got anything on that windowsill, can I use the space?"

I 've started saving all our bottles to do the same thing. It looks a brilliant idea, recycling and saving loads of money. Those shop bought cloches are all really pretty but they're expensive,aren't they. Happy growing!
    Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

I also used them like that last year. The smaller 500ml bottles, I cut the bottom ends off and sunk them in the soil next to my plants and watered that way so the water went straight to the roots.
      AKA Angie

Comment

I use the full height of the bottles, just removing the bottom (which are saved to use under pots on the windowsill). I leave the bottle top off for ventilation. Then I cut two slits about a centimeter apart near the bottom, then repeat the procedure on the opposite side. Two chopsticks (left from takeaways) are then inserted into the slits to anchor the bottle to the soil. They work great, and are a great way to recycle (and save money!).
        Attached Files

Comment

For some reason, I hadn't thought of using the full size bottle - I'm definately going to do this with my cucumber and courgette plants which are getting too tall for their cloches already.

Also, having just got yet another ticking off by my husband for muddy water stains all over the window sills, I love the idea of using the bottoms for under my plant pots - Brill!
          Charlie x
          "Erm, if you havn't got anything on that windowsill, can I use the space?"

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the plant pot bases! Staring you in the face really!!!!!
            AKA - BigMatt over at Chillis Galore......

Comment

Originally posted by windowsillqueen View Post
              got yet another ticking off by my husband for muddy water stains all over the window sills
              me too.
              I use old hummous tubs as saucers on my window sills.
              When I remember
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Gotta' love the versatile plastic pop bottle! Mine have not only provided a suitable cloche for my chilli plants over the years, but they've also prevented the cats eating the leaves of the plants. :-?

Comment

I use washed out plastic trays as saucers on the window sill , they type you get so many different foods in, meat, vegetable etc.

Comment

Can anyone give me a good use for the screw lids from a pop bottle? They are the only thing I can't think of a use for on the lottie. Bird scarers? Cane toppers? Anyone?
                    Last edited by Creemteez; 17-03-2009, 09:21 PM.
                    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Legs to keep pots up off the patio to encourage better drainage?

Comment

i like that one, i now have to remember to keep the bottle tops!

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                          Can anyone give me a good use for the screw lids from a pop bottle? They are the only thing I can't think of a use for on the lottie. Bird scarers? Cane toppers? Anyone?
                          Make lots of little holes in the bottle top (I use a skewer heated in the gas flame) and then put it back on the bottle filled with water. It makes a good spray for watering seedlings.

Comment

I cut my bottles in half and use the top as a cloche and the bottom as a plant pot with a few holes cut in the bottom. I also use cleaned meat trays/mushroom trays/fruit punnets from the supermarket (as long as they're deep enough) as seed trays or for holding bottle bottom pots (as above) in my mini greenhouse. In fact, everything gets vetted before it gets chucked in the recycling box just in case I can use it for something!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X