Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleece or polytunnel??

Hi All,

Think it about time that my veg were wrapped up warm as we are getting close to the first frosts. It is ony a small plot next to the house but I am not sure if fleece or poly tunnels are the best option?

Any advice welcome, thanks,

Well, if you can build a polytunnel type thing over them then you can leave that in place all winter and maybe grow some other stuff under it. I think you could, for example, keep some salad leaves going through the winter. However, you need to go to the time and expense of building it.

Fleece on the other hand you just throw over your plants so it's quick and easy. However, it shouldn't be left in place, I think because it blocks the light, so it's really just frost protection for the really cold nights.

Cheers,
    Ian.

Comment

just know i'm going to be shot down but i never grow anything in the winter as i just don't think its worth battling the freezing weather, the rain and the wind. Don't get me wrong, i just love growing my own and any other kind of gardening but not until Feb.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi Bramble, I'm with you-can't do cold weather!! We're going to finish digging, plant rasberries and then about December will be wrapping up the allotment for the winter!!! We're putting manure on the empty beds and letting the frost & the worms work for us. I'm already enjoying planning my campaign for February & will just potter about in the greenhouse at home, but the great thing is that everyone works in a different way, so put your feet up & keep warm!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
          just know i'm going to be shot down but i never grow anything in the winter as i just don't think its worth battling the freezing weather, the rain and the wind. Don't get me wrong, i just love growing my own and any other kind of gardening but not until Feb.
          I ain't shooting you down bramble, everyone to their own. I just think you will miss out on a lot of winter veg, Spring cabbge being one of my favourites!

I pay an annual allotment rent and try, if possible to get good value from my plot by using it all year. I don't know what I would do without my winter cabbage and Kale and my Autumn sown onions and broad beans.

I am really looking forward to going to my hut when the ground is white, making myself a brew and being able to look out of my window and say " Well look at that, my allotment is as good as anybodys when theres 2'-0" of snow" Lol
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X