Bubble wrap for greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubble wrap for greenhouse?

I didn't bubblewrap my greenhouse last year as it was my first year with it and to be honest it was just one of those things that didn't get done!

I think i really should do it this year to save on heating (paraffin heater).

So...how much is it likely to cost to line a 6x6 greenhouse including the fixings (i've seen green fixings, is this what i need to use?) aluminium frame if that helps clarify!

Also do i need to do the roof as well or just the sides? least expensive option please as i'm quite skint at the moment!

thanks
    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
    Happy Gardening!

hi Protea! I was thinking exactly the same thing!.................. Dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Argos do bubble wrap - 29.5" wide x 15' long at £6 a roll. For a greenhouse don't know if it needs to be special horticultural bubble wrap? - if there is such a thing

Comment

Know I'm being thick BUT! exactly how to you fix the wrap to the frame of the greenhouse? Dexterdog
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Sorry - not a clue

Comment

You can buy green plastic fittings that slide into the grooves where the nuts and bolts of the greenhouse are. They,re a bit akward but i have'nt come across anything better.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

If you can use the large bubbles, it gives better insulation & you loose less light than thru the small bubbles. NA KAys sell it 1,5m wide (6ft in real money) for £1.65 per metre & you'll need about 15m to do a 6ft x 6ft (& give you a bit spare). The Plastic clips are about £2 for 25 & the corner fixings £4 for 16. They are crap really but the only way better would be to fix some thin timber to the frame (apex of the roof, the eaves & the base) & pin it to it, but thats a fiddle as well.

The stuff from Argos is for packaging & isn't worth buying as it's only 2 layers & breaks down in the light. The proper greenhouse bubble wrap is 3 layers & is UV treated.
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Thanks for the shopping list!

had a quick look online, this company do the large bubbles UV stabilised but you have to buy a 50m roll http://www.phflexible.co.uk/acatalog..._________.html

ebay also seems to have a selection of people selling it

This company sell it by the metre and they also sell the green clips: http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/v3/g...1074_1075.html

I'm sure i also saw Focus DIY stores selling it last year but can't remember how much it cost or if it was the large/small bubbles.

Now just need to find the cheapest option!
                There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                Happy Gardening!

Comment

Thanks for the info Protea! much appreciated. DDL
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

When I said 15 metres this was for 1.5m wide stuff. A lot of bubblewrap only comes in 70cm widths in which case you'll need twice as much in length.

NA Kays do a 70cm x 30m roll of small bubble for £14 +p&P & a 50m roll of the big stuff for £60.

I must admit I bought the 50m roll as I had 2 to do & have usesd the remainder to insulate the shed
                    Last edited by nick the grief; 26-09-2006, 06:34 PM.
                    ntg

Comment

Reading all this with interest. My greenhouse is 10 x 8 and very tall, so I was thinking of making a small area within the greenhouse which I will insulate and put in a paraffin heater. Anyone done that? Not quite sure how I'm going to do it.

By the way, my new greenhouse is the one featured on the first page of the article in this month's GYO - see what I mean about it being tall!!
                      ~
                      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                        Reading all this with interest. My greenhouse is 10 x 8 and very tall, so I was thinking of making a small area within the greenhouse which I will insulate and put in a paraffin heater. Anyone done that? Not quite sure how I'm going to do it.

By the way, my new greenhouse is the one featured on the first page of the article in this month's GYO - see what I mean about it being tall!!
                        the easiest way to do it would be to build a wooden frame in you existing one Jenny & cover it in clear Polythene & then insulate the greenhouse. That way you can cut the headroom down for heating as well. Doesn't need to be fancy just 5 "squares" bolted together.

As to tall, my big house is 6ft6" at the sides & 9ft 6" at the ridge - it's so I can house the Chrysanths easily as some can get to 6ft in height & I was fed up of banging my head on the roof vent !!!
                        ntg

Comment

Thanks Nick - being vertically challenged I couldn't think how I would get bubble wrap into the roof! I had wondered about a box - like a mini greenhouse in a greenhouse ?
                          ~
                          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                            Thanks Nick - being vertically challenged I couldn't think how I would get bubble wrap into the roof! I had wondered about a box - like a mini greenhouse in a greenhouse ?
                            Yep, thats it exactly. Loads of height is great in summer as the plants aren't near the heat in the roof space, but you'r heating about a 3rd more volume than you need to in winter. I know 1 or 2 folks who do this.

If you could split your staging into two peices down each side you could have a 6ft x 8 ft heated area & a 6ft x 8 ft cooler area for hardening off. It won;t be truly cold in the greenhouse sense as some heat will leak from the heated bit, but it will still be cooler.

one of the cheapo walking greenhouses would do the same job if you know what I mean. they are about 6ft x 4ft ish
                            Last edited by nick the grief; 26-09-2006, 07:19 PM.
                            ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X