Greenhouse gutter slope

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse gutter slope

I got my new (to me, anyway) greenhouse all fixed down today, and tested the gutter flow. One is perfectly horizontal (the water goes nowhere unless you put enough in that it flows out of both ends), and the other flows fairly gently to the front of the greenhouse.
    What I want, however, if for them to both drain to the rear. Any tips on ways to achieve this, besides unscrewing the whole greenhouse and raising the front slightly?
    I don't have end pieces for the gutters yet, so will simply blocking the front ends with end pieces be enough to encourage the water to exit out the back, seeing as one side is perfectly level and the other only slopes very gently to the front?

Also, on a related note, any suggestions on make-shift end pieces and downpipe fittings? The sets are surprisingly expensive.

Ameno my downpipe is made of 1 & 1/4inch waste pipe its just pushed on to the ends of the gutter. The other end of the gutter was blocked with a bottle cap and silicone sealant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_85003.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	2560350
    Last edited by Bren In Pots; 31-03-2023, 07:56 AM.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I don't think I'd be able to push pipe onto mine like that, as the gutter is solidly attached to the greenhouse, without the sort of gap or loose end you would need to push something over it.
      Making a dead end with an appropriately sized object and silicone sealant sounds like a good idea, though.

Comment

Ameno the pipe has a slit cut into it so it can push onto the gutter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8cdc1117-cc96-41c9-b42f-81b388058571.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	2560402

Click image for larger version  Name:	0bc4e7a4-80aa-4b06-b2fa-d5c17cd9c9f7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	100.1 KB ID:	2560401
        Last edited by Bren In Pots; 31-03-2023, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Ah, I didn't think of that. I'll have to look into costs, because I'd need to buy the pipes.

Also, I made a makeshift gutter end out of clay today and tested the gutters again, and actually they both flow to the front of the greenhouse, so it looks like I'll have to have a sloping pipe leading down the sides to the rear so that I can collect the water there.
          That being the case, do you have any tips for securing the pipe to the sides of the greenhouse?

Comment

Ameno how deep and wide are the gutters, to get the run I would consider halfing a plastic pipe length wise and fitting it in/on to the gutter to give a run, or if running a pipe from front to back you could secure a small section of a slightly larger pipe halfed for supports and secured onto the greenhouse frame with self tapping screws
            Last edited by rary; 31-03-2023, 10:18 PM.
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

The gutters are 4cm wide at the base, slightly wider at the top.
              I must admit, I didn't consider the possibility of fitting another gutter inside the existing gutter in order to reverse the slope. I'll have to check how much headroom the gutter has, since a new mini gutter fitted inside is likely to protrude slightly from the existing gutter (especially as I would have to raise the front end up in order to reverse the slope).
              Cutting a waste pipe in half would be easier said than done, though. I don't have any sort of bench saw or jig saw, so would have to do it with a hand saw, so the chances of the cut remaining straight are probably pretty low.

If I do go the pipe route, I'm reluctant to make holes in the frame for securing it. The verticals which the glass is clipped to protrude proud of the glass some inch or more, so I was thinking of fitting some manner of screw clamps (even a larger-headed bolt might do it) to those verticals, then just hanging a pipe from them with wire.
              Last edited by ameno; 31-03-2023, 08:41 PM.

Comment

A small hole in the vertical to allow a thin length of wire, (something like one of the inner cores of an electric cable which is very flexible and plastic coated,) through to secure a pipe, and ofcourse you don't need to drill every vertical I think three would be sufficient, I think fitting a secondary gutter could finish up a bit more work
                Last edited by rary; 01-04-2023, 07:10 AM.
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                  Ah, I didn't think of that. I'll have to look into costs, because I'd need to buy the pipes.

Also, I made a makeshift gutter end out of clay today and tested the gutters again, and actually they both flow to the front of the greenhouse, so it looks like I'll have to have a sloping pipe leading down the sides to the rear so that I can collect the water there.
                  That being the case, do you have any tips for securing the pipe to the sides of the greenhouse?
                  Ameno as long as the water runs to the back before it overflows at the front you shouldn't have any problems collecting water at the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

Ameno as long as the water runs to the back before it overflows at the front you shouldn't have any problems collecting water at the rear.
                    It does, but only just. It doesn't flow out of the back until the front end is nearly full. So although it might well be fine in light rain, I fear in heavy rain it would simply overflow the front end.

Comment

Ameno I spotted you've got your guttering up and working so was wondering how you did it in the end.

Comment

I went for gutter in gutter.
                        I bought a length of 32mm waste pipe, cut it in half length ways (easier said than done with hand tools, but I did a reasonable job of it using the stanley knife in the end), then fitted it inside the existing guttering, with chocks at the door end and in the middle to raise it up enough to make it slope to the rear, and a bit of plumber's putty to help hold it in place (the existing guttering already holds it in pretty well, so the putty is just to help stop it twisting or sliding out). Then I used some more 32mm waste pipe and fittings for the downpipes.
                        As I said in the other topic, it leaks a little (mainly, I suspect, because of the less than neat edge on my homemade guttering), but most of the water goes to the rear and down the downpipe, so that's good enough for me.
                        Last edited by ameno; 09-04-2023, 12:59 PM.

Comment

That sounds a good workaround Ameno, easier and more stable than the other options.

Comment

Good call there ameno…that was my initial choice too .
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X